Thread: LIME soon to offer 50mb and cable tv?

Default LIME soon to offer 50mb and cable tv?

So LIME is really busy in my area in Red Hills running new cable and putting up new wooden poles.

My dad spoke to 1 of the guys and they said they are running fibre optic cable and will be able to offer us up to 50mb when they finish.

I haven't read of any big news in what LIME doing in this regards. Anyone can shed some light on this?

EDIT: Nevermind. Found some news articles on this:
    LIME cable TV to air next year
    LIME Jamaica rolls out 100 Mbps ‘Fibre to the Home’
    LIME launches 100 Mbps 'Fibre to the Home' in Rhyne Park, St. James

So I guess they running FTTH. The main thing my dad and myself loved about LIME was that when power goes, we still had internet, if we powered our ADSL modem using a UPS. But with these fibre and cable solutions, power goes, so does your internet.

Ah well.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Mar 19, 2013 at 11:52 AM.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

This is what i love to see. competition. hopefully their prices are not too crazy. this would cause flow to lower their prices. i have friends in netherlands who get 100mbps with cabletv and phone line for USD$50 per month. i know its impossible for jamaica to compete with that but i would spend 7k for a 50mb connection

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post

So I guess they running FTTH. The main thing my dad and myself loved about LIME was that when power goes, we still had internet, if we powered our ADSL modem using a UPS. But with these fibre and cable solutions, power goes, so does your internet.

Ah well.
    You sure about that? Somewhere in the path of the dsl, something is using power. So if power went down over there and you had it, then somebody had a battery up on it. The question then is why no battery/generator at the end your fibre connects to?

The price is what I want to know. 10,000? 20,000? Or in line with FLOW 20MBps pricing?

from one of the older articles

The introductory package called “Ignite” starts at 12Mbps and is priced at only J$2,400 plus GCT.
    not expecting to see 12Mpbs when you are talking about fibre connections. Not even the lowest priced package should be that low
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Quote Originally Posted by semitop View Post
    You sure about that? Somewhere in the path of the dsl, something is using power. So if power went down over there and you had it, then somebody had a battery up on it. The question then is why no battery/generator at the end your fibre connects to?
    Well I do see a backup generator at the exchange. So yeah, maybe they kept it powered when power goes.

I had remember some discussion on here that flow COULD put some power backup for their fibre connections, but persons concluded it would be too expensive for them.

If LIME FTTH has power when my power goes, then they have us sold!
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by xklusivve View Post
    i have friends in netherlands who get 100mbps with cabletv and phone line for USD$50 per month. i know its impossible for jamaica to compete with that but i would spend 7k for a 50mb connection
    Why is it impossible for Jamaica to compete with that? Internet here in Ja as it is now is overpriced.
    MATADOR: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R, C2Q Q9400 @ 3.4GHz, ZALMAN CNPS9500, 6GB GSkill, Crucial C300 SSD 128GB, 2x 2TB WD Caviar Black, Diamond HD5850, 2x Plextor DVD+RW, RAIDMAX Scoprio 668WBP Case, Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-D-B 850W, Dell E228FP WideScreen 22", Logitech Z-2300, Windows 7 Pro x64