Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Killzone 4

Quote Originally Posted by Makkah View Post
    I understand that it's nice to be able to play all your games on one console, but is backward compatibility REALLY that important? I've seen a lot of people say that a lack of backward compatibility is a deal breaker, but come on. The snes didn't play nes games, the n64 played neither, and the gamecube followed the same trend. Why? Because in order to move forward with the hardware old tech had to be discarded. The PS2 and PS3 could play PS1 games because it was dirt cheap to add the PS1's CPU to them. The PS2's CPU was still very expensive so Sony ditched it in later PS3 models to reduce the price. Can you imagine how expensive the PS4 would if on top of it's current specs they tossed some PS3 hardware in there too? And besides, the PS4's existence doesn't make every PS3 on the planet disappear lol.
    You can get BC by using hardware that's an advancement of the old. All them systems were departures from what came before and they chose to do the same with the PS4.

I feel the ps4 coulda got away with having a better cell CPU. Though I think I heard IBM left it or some other crap. The thing is that it can meaningfully help the GPU. So PS4 could have saved money on developing a CPU and just gone with a beefed up cell, put in a better GPU than they have now and then, on top of that, they can boost the graphics if needed with the new cell CPU. My naive thoughts anyway. I think a future where the CPU and GPU aren't so seperate would be beneficial. Like unified memory (which the ps3 lacked). Instead they dumped it and are doing away with all the knowledge devs have gotten by working with it. So now, if they want to make a ps4 game that would also be on the xbox360 and ps3, they have more work on their hands. If you think about it that way, they could really have come out on top. Dev a game for the ps4 and its as easy as anything to sell it on the ps3 etc. Easy to port ps3 games to ps4 with improved performance and graphics. Lots of possibilities but people cried and sony listened (if they had a choice).

PS3 will start getting neglected ASAP. Soon as Ps4 sales reach a good amount, putting a game on the ps3 would be too much of a hassle. We'll likely end up with games showing up on the 360 and next gen consoles alone.
    Last edited by semitop; Mar 3, 2013 at 01:27 PM.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

I think they had to do away with cell entirely. It's great if you can get it to work, but it takes a LOT of skill to accomplish this. I've heard cell likened d to a room filled with brilliant autistic children. Sure they excel at what they do, but good luck getting them to work together coherently. The ps4's hardware on the other hand is very easy the develop for. It's also very easy to port games to and from pc, and if the rumours are true, the nextbox as well. This means games will look better, play better, be cheaper overall and will also be developed a lot faster. I think going forward, given ps4's architecture, the ps5 or whatever will indeed be backward compatible.
    No one expects the Inquisition.

I understand that it's nice to be able to play all your games on one console, but is backward compatibility REALLY that important? I've seen a lot of people say that a lack of backward compatibility is a deal breaker, but come on. The snes didn't play nes games, the n64 played neither, and the gamecube followed the same trend. Why? Because in order to move forward with the hardware old tech had to be discarded. The PS2 and PS3 could play PS1 games because it was dirt cheap to add the PS1's CPU to them. The PS2's CPU was still very expensive so Sony ditched it in later PS3 models to reduce the price. Can you imagine how expensive the PS4 would if on top of it's current specs they tossed some PS3 hardware in there too? And besides, the PS4's existence doesn't make every PS3 on the planet disappear lol.

the more people that buy it the better. If you have a bunch of DS3 controllers laying around you have no choice but to sell them because once the ps4 comes out its going to start re-release all the ps3 stuff. Its just one point on a checklist of things. like HD graphics and motion controls, USB slots and Memory card slots. YOu remember when the ps3 came out? it had a memory card slots on it - people thought that was a deal breaker.

Assuming you had a ps3 before, why is that a problem though? Maybe it's just me and the fact that I hoard my consoles lol. I still have my ps1, ps2, snes and genesis. I gave my nes to my cousin and his mom threw it away . Anyway, if I get a ps4 I'm hanging on to my ps3 as well.

Assuming you had a ps3 before, why is that a problem though? Maybe it's just me and the fact that I hoard my consoles lol. I still have my ps1, ps2, snes and genesis. I gave my nes to my cousin and his mom threw it away . Anyway, if I get a ps4 I'm hanging on to my ps3 as well.
    Its about having less consoles and reusing your controllers.

I get that, Owen, but what boggles my mind is people that won't buy a new console just because it can't play their old stuff. Sure it would be nice if it could, but why abandon new possibilities and experiences just for that reason?

I get that, Owen, but what boggles my mind is people that won't buy a new console just because it can't play their old stuff. Sure it would be nice if it could, but why abandon new possibilities and experiences just for that reason?
    Its the principle behind the whole thing. It shows a lack of respect for the consumer. Say for instance you bought a iphone 4 and then after you bought a iphone 5 but your iphone 5 could not play your iphone 4 games and you had to keep bought phones with you.

Some might not be able to, and for others it would be a pain to let go of their beloved old games. Suppose you plan to sell your PS3 to buy a ps4 but don't want to lose out on the games? Ps4 games at launch will all be $60 (big games anyway). One reason clearly can be financial. BC would make the investment worth it.

Others wont like switching between consoles. People have dem reasons. It would have been the best if the ps4 had BC and improved on the ps3 games graphics. Simply putting an AA filter on the games or something. I'll still get the ps4 eventually and I am sure other would too. I did get a ps3 after all.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

even something as simple as allowing people to use thier old DS3 controllers would go allong way to save money. PS4 controllers are probably going to be $50 a piece while some people already own 2 DS3 controllers that just connect for multiplayer.

Backwards compatibility, is ALWAYS a bonus. Sony isn't obligated to put it in, we were just lucky to have it in the first place. Only gameboys used to offer dem things before cause they used the same cartridges, but no more.

I'm really not missing my fat PS3 now, benefits of the slim far outweighed those of the fat. I rarely if ever played my PS2 games again, actually only things I'd look to play are Def Jam and Nba Street 2. Ya I did buy San Andreas this past week even tho I have 3 PS2 copies of it, but whatever, I dont have to be pushing a disc in to use it.

Sony has neither confirmed nor denied the ability to use dualshock 3s on the PS4, but its all bluetooth and the input buttons haven't really changed, so who knows. I imagine the PS move wands will still be usable.. but Sony is a business like everyone else, their objective is to sell NEW hardware, can you really blame them? They've already made things so easy for us, not needing to buy as many extra peripherals as xbox by letting us use ANY mouse/keyboard and ANY headsets we already had. I don't know what more you want to ask of them, then call them expensive they've been the most cost-effective console to use this gen.

Quote Originally Posted by semitop View Post
    Its possible. Some already integrate RPG elements. You could even go the route of not making it strictly fps. Lots of ways to make things fresh. Problem is that these companies aren't happy to invest in new ideas.

it might be $60, upfront...
    sounds like Borderlands

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    Sony has some of the most expensive stuff on the market. DS3 controllers are not going to work on the PS4. No Backward compatibility AT ALL except the Move controller. No to mention the vita. I really do not know how playstation gamers survive. PS3 stuff are some of the most expensive on the market.
    I survived because PS3 stuff are actually some of the least expensive on the market. Do we need to do another one of these cost comparison breakdowns?
    Last edited by chig; Mar 4, 2013 at 09:25 AM.
    Android>iPhone>>>>>>.....>>>>>>BlackBerry