Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Microsoft’s new Office 2013 license may send users to Google Docs

Default Why Microsoft’s new Office 2013 license may send users to Google Docs

If you buy a perpetual retail license for Office 2013, it will be locked to the computer you first install it on, forever. Buy a new PC and you won't be allowed to install your existing copy of Office on it, even if you wipe the disk of the old PC. You'll have to splurge for a new one.

This is a change in policy from Office 2010. Office 2010 permitted a single transition from one PC to a new one. It's not, however, an entirely new policy: OEM pre-installed versions of Office (and Windows) are similarly tied to their (OEM) hardware and can't migrate. Adam Turner at The Age first pressed Microsoft for clarification over what its "single PC" constraint actually meant, and noted the newly aligned OEM and retail licenses.

It's difficult to see the wisdom in this change. It's not a big change, but it's not a nice one, either.

Retail sales make up a minority of the Office business. Microsoft doesn't habitually report the exact level of retail sales, but we can perhaps make estimates based on the information the company does provide.

The Microsoft Business Division (MBD), the reporting group within the company that includes Office, Exchange, SharePoint, Dynamics, and Lync, reported last quarter that 60 percent of its revenue is from multi-year subscriptions—Software Assurance plans. The remaining 40 percent is what Microsoft calls "transactional;" one-off purchases, encompassing both OEM preinstalls and boxed copies bought online or in bricks-and-mortar stores.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...o-google-docs/

Why Microsoft why? This will definitely increase piracy of the software as well.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    Why Microsoft why? This will definitely increase piracy of the software as well.
    Yup! And they wonder why people jump on the $9.95 deals of office when they show up.

Microsoft shot themselves in the foot

Father bought it, and how HE says it is, u can register up to 5 pcs, if u want to install it on more just remove a pc and register the new 1(He got the family pack thing)
    Phenom II X4 955 (3.6Ghz), HD 4670(soon upgrade), AM2+ gigabit board, 4gb DDR2, cant afford any 3 yet....

Quote Originally Posted by -=KzR.Erasor=- View Post
    Father bought it, and how HE says it is, u can register up to 5 pcs, if u want to install it on more just remove a pc and register the new 1(He got the family pack thing)
    He got the 365 version, which comes at a yearly subscription
    Last edited by King_Jay16; Feb 18, 2013 at 04:55 PM.

Stupid to buy a software in this day and age that is tired down to one machine and it's not for $.99 or $1........ Why would I buy a peice of software that's expensive to then buy annually renew licensing?...... Better if they had made the keys accessible to only one machine at any one time so if I uninstall it from one machine, I can use the same key on the other machine.....
    LAPTOP:- Alienware M11x C2D @1.7GHz, SATA 300GB HDD, nVidia GT 335M 1GB (dis.), Intel GMA HD-64MB (int.), 2GB DDR3 RAM @1066MHz, 1.3MP webcam Running Windows7 64bit
    MOBILE DEVICE:- SGS3 T999 dual core Qualcom Snapdragon @1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB (int. SD), Adreno 225 GPU, 8MP pri. cam, 1.9MP ff running Stock:4.0.4 UVLH2 modem

Quote Originally Posted by Anthon View Post
    Stupid to buy a software in this day and age that is tired down to one machine and it's not for $.99 or $1........ Why would I buy a peice of software that's expensive to then buy annually renew licensing?...... Better if they had made the keys accessible to only one machine at any one time so if I uninstall it from one machine, I can use the same key on the other machine.....
    I did some digging since the article and the preliminary conclusion is that it applies to computers shipped with a copy of Office 2013 installed, just like how you buy a laptop preactivated with Windows 7 and the key is tied to that computer only. Same with the copy of office they are referring to.

I guess the type of software you are reffering to for 99c are stuff made for little gadgets or just really specific software. i am not going with microsoft or anything but the Office product is definitely worht hundreds and probably at the least $19.99 per yr IMHO
    Asus X502CA (THIN)
    S5 (Dual Sim) Original not Chinese

Quote Originally Posted by Krushh View Post
    I guess the type of software you are reffering to for 99c are stuff made for little gadgets or just really specific software. i am not going with microsoft or anything but the Office product is definitely worht hundreds and probably at the least $19.99 per yr IMHO
    The software is very good and is worth a deal of funds, however there are alternatives out their that people find just as good.

Default Office 2013 now transferable

Office 2013 now transferable

A couple weeks ago, I posted this blog to clarify the new Office 2013 licensing terms. Based on customer feedback we have changed the Office 2013 retail license agreement to allow customers to transfer the software from one computer to another. This means customers can transfer Office 2013 to a different computer if their device fails or they get a new one. Previously, customers could only transfer their Office 2013 software to a new device if their PC failed under warranty.

While the license agreement accompanying Office 2013 software will be updated in a future release, this change is effective immediately and applies to Office Home and Student 2013, Office Home and Business 2013, Office Professional 2013 and the standalone Office 2013 applications. These transferability options are equivalent to those found in the Office 2010 retail license terms.
    Read more: http://blogs.office.com/b/office-new...nsferable.aspx
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008