Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major fault for Windows 8+Gaming

Quote Originally Posted by davaughe View Post
    umm, have u tried using skype metro? so far its the only metro app i have encountered which fails to function properly when running in the background. Furthermore please refrain from referring to an app as insignificant simply because you fail to recognize its importance to others, as gaming and using skype was not the only issue i encountered, fact is once alt tabbed it stopped functioning, given the fact that a major selling point for windows 8 was "metro" one would think that if a "metro" app fails to function then the OS somewhat loses its luster. Visually impressive, yes it is, however i value functionality over looks any day and a fault by any other name is still a fault. The fact that the easy download and installation of apps via windows store is negated when the app fails to function is a fault and until fixed it will remain as such. You say you find my actions unacceptable due to the fact that i did not trouble shoot enough, but what about microsoft getting it right the first time instead of releasing an OS they knew was not ready but instead using the very consumers as "paying" guinea pigs, seeing fit to only fix an issue with this incomplete OS when they get enough reports about a particular problem. If skype were a third party app i would not be blaming microsoft, but for crying out loud u built the app and the OS at least make sure they function properly together...
    So how does Xfire perform in Windows 8? Any issues with that as well?
    Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

anyone tested ventrilo, teamspeak and steam on win 8 as yet, those are what i'm interested in. oh yea, adobe cs6 suite as well
    NZXT S340*Asus Prime B350 Plus*AMD Ryzen 5 1600*Cooler Master Masterliquid 240 AIO*8GB Patriot Viper 3000MHZ DDR4*SanDisk 120GB SSD*Corsair CX 650 80+Bronze PSU*Windows 10 Pro 64bit*Acer R Series 21.5" IPS 1080p 4ms Monitor

umm, have u tried using skype metro?
    Yes. Fortunately for me, I don't have the issue you are experiencing. I've noted the points you've made.
    No OS is perfect, and as such you will notice these bugs too. My grouse isn't with your argument, it is with the title of the thread as it is still misleading from the minor annoyance that you are experiencing. King_Jay16 gave you the workaround, so a temporary solution is available to you.
    You can call it a "fault" all you want, but it's not anything "major" that prevents you from productively using the PC or results in data-loss.
    I'd have to congratulate M$ in retaining market share nonetheless despite all that's happening.
    Last edited by NOKIA 3650; Feb 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM.
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

Quote Originally Posted by grim386 View Post
    anyone tested ventrilo, teamspeak and steam on win 8 as yet, those are what i'm interested in. oh yea, adobe cs6 suite as well
    Steam is fine (Runs fine on my laptop and desktop)
    CS6 is fine (have the master collection running on 3 Windows 8 PCs with no issues)

can't speak to the others

Ok, so i got the GTA 4 to launch but i cant change the settings, sad, i have a bloody HD7950 why is it telling me my video memory is too low..... anyway back to the issue at hand:

@Pow - honestly i do not use these other voip services so i do not know how they function, i am assuming there probably isnt a metro version of the items in question so they should be fine.

@Grim - refer to response to pow

@Nokia - I do not understand y you would think my title is misleading, its not like i was flaming the OS and saying its useless, it specifically refers to windows 8 as it relates to games, one may say it is a bit vague but misleading???? sry man i not seeing that. Further to that i did not say the OS restricts me in any way productivity wise, however my issue s with gaming and that is specifically what i spoke to, i have also seen reviews where the OS is having significant issues as it relates to gaming, again my main point.

My machine is not only a source of productivity but also a means of recreation, that being the case when things do not work as they are suppose to one can understand the increase in stress levels as oppose to the desired down time.

As it relates to Microsoft retaining market share, well I think we all know the methods used to keep their foot hold in the PC market over the past few years. This coupled with the fact that ppl are creatures of habit and the other OS's out there being very user specific for the most part means well...of course they retained market share.
    Mobo: Gigabyte Z77-UP5 TH|CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K|RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHz|GPU: Gigabyte HD7950|Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus|Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER|PSU: Cooler Master GX 750W|Display: Westinghouse 22" - 1680x1050|Mouse: Logitech G700|Keyboard: Logitech G510

I thought windows 8 was great until i tried to skype and play LoL last night, major fail, every time i alt+tab to play the call went out, but whenever i brought the call back up on the main screen it worked, what kinda crap is that, I will be un-installing and going back to windows 7 until further notice, major fail for windows 8,

LOL use the desktop skype windows 8 give you both the new and old way to use your software, weathier desktop or metro.

SO GUESS WINDOWS 8 IS a MAJOR SUCCESS than a failure