Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Active Server Pages Projects

Default Re:Active Server Pages Projects

Do you use ODBC connectivity to SQL Server 2000? If so, does it connect to the database faster?

Also, what are you using to develop the COM object? VB or C++?

igodit Guest

I didn't develop the COM Object for this application. The COM for this app was used for another app, so I'm not using it at it's full potential or even the right environment.

If you have control of the Server that SQl resides on then you can use ODBC, for remote server that you don't have control of, other than SQL Server itself I just use Global.asa (Connection String) have not really checked to see if there is a connection speed difference.

Have you ever developed web apps using Win2K Server. If so, is there any major difference in developing web apps with 2003 Server than 2000 server?

igodit Guest

Internet Information Services 6.0 is much more stable and bundled with Windows Server 2003. Also there is the .NET Framework, which can be downloaded for Windows 2000 Server. There are better security policies incorporated in 6.0 and parsing handling and restrictions.

The tool that we are working on now is build on Windows 2003 Server (Eval) using IIS 6.0, SQL Server 2000 and Crystal Reports 9 Developer. What I do notice however is the slow parsing with .NET Applications. I notice that ASP pages load much faster that ASP.NET pages. And that is a significant difference.

Quote Originally Posted by owen
    wow! pretty slick. but are you sure you should be letting out com pany se crets online?
    I second that. igodit why havent you waited until after the presentation to your board to make this post? enthusiasm can be a real "A-biter" at times" . Please be careful in the future and give thanks and praises to God that your location is JAMAICA..not the U.S nor EUROPE...food for thought

Anyway from what I can see its a promising project *thumbs up*

Hey Igodit, Looks awsome but check your contract especially the fine print to see if this post is allowed, 'cause like Cateyes said, you could encounter some serious implications if your company knew about this post.

Anyway, looks "tuff"...

igodit Guest

I understand what you are saying, there are no implications to look forward for.

The screen looks prretty slick. But what do use to get the data into crystal procedures or directly from the table

igodit Guest

Crystal Reports has a developer section that gives you a sample of how to pull records from a table. Basically what you do is to write the the Stored Proceudre and reference the RPT file to the database and the Stored Procedure you wish to use in the report.