Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm back

Quote Originally Posted by King_Jay16 View Post
    Hmmm interesting... First place i heard of that it was illegal....

Do it all the time in states, especially when I hear a bunch of sirens and want to find out whats going... just boot an android app. Public record indeed

Your able to listen to everything from the fire station chats to truck drivers flying down I-75/285/85 etc

Seems Babylon have something fi hide ina JA...

Jamaica is just technology backwards in a lot of ways hence i beleive that the government does this until they are able to catch up and put new laws into place that deal with tech
    So if police radio chat can be listened to legally in the states, wouldn't the crooks have an advantage if they had such equipment?
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    Welcome back mjj, glad to see you're not in jail bro.

Thanks!

I'm thankful I wasn't jailed, Shortly after this happened I believe the Govt. passed some new telecommunications regulation that officially makes it illegal to monitor the JCF/JDF in anyway, shape or form.

Apparently, The equipment I had wasn't illegal. However, Listening to certain frequencies was a gray area and they would have had a hard time charging me with such a obscure "crime".

So if police radio chat can be listened to legally in the states, wouldn't the crooks have an advantage if they had such equipment?

I can say this much without violating a current NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement), Our State Police (The New Jersey State Police) have a Motorola system with a coverage area spanning over 130 Miles (crossing into other states for emergencies) but the system can be operated in both clear or secure modes. Secure mode is AES encryption making eavesdropping virtually impossible without very expensive equipment and knowledgeable persons.

Most communications are in the open (clear) and they include background checks/Drivers Licenses, running license plates/VIN numbers, running Firearm serial numbers, etc.
    HOWEVER, Narcotics Unit/Gang Task Force/Aviation Unit/Arson & Bomb Squad/TEAMS Unit (SWAT team on 24/7 standby) all operate in a highly secure and encrypted environment.

You will hear nothing but static/hash and a stolen police radio can be killed in seconds by Administrative personnel, Making it a useless brick

All Federal agencies (DEA, ATF, FBI, etc.) are mostly using encryption for all radio communications, But I have heard the DEA and ATF conducting raids before in the clear (no encryption). However, They never mention streets or house numbers or names so nothing "secretive".
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Jan 18, 2013 at 03:27 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts

See MJJ's response.

Also having the equipment is one thing, knowing how to use it correctly so as in order to avoid getting caught is another...

Quote Originally Posted by mjj4363 View Post
    I can say this much without violating a current NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement), Our State Police (The New Jersey State Police) have a Motorola system with a coverage area spanning over 130 Miles (crossing into other states for emergencies) but the system can be operated in both clear or secure modes. Secure mode is AES encryption making eavesdropping virtually impossible without very expensive equipment and knowledgeable persons.

Most communications are in the open (clear) and they include background checks/Drivers Licenses, running license plates/VIN numbers, running Firearm serial numbers, etc.
    HOWEVER, Narcotics Unit/Gang Task Force/Aviation Unit/Arson & Bomb Squad/TEAMS Unit (SWAT team on 24/7 standby) all operate in a highly secure and encrypted environment.

You will hear nothing but static/hash and a stolen police radio can be killed in seconds by Administrative personnel, Making it a useless brick

All Federal agencies (DEA, ATF, FBI, etc.) are mostly using encryption for all radio communications, But I have heard the DEA and ATF conducting raids before in the clear (no encryption). However, They never mention streets or house numbers or names so nothing "secretive".
    I agree with this... same her in ATL. However sometimes you do come across open channels used for transmitting info that should have been on a secure channel. Depends on the hardware or software you use and the channels you are able to access in your area.

Even standing or walking by a cop etc you sometimes overhear info as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mjj4363 View Post
    Ahh, I see, I see. Cool.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Ahh, I see, I see. Cool.
    You would like the voice stress analyzer that plugs in to a modular phone jack.

I had the privilege of having the voice stress analyzer tested on me without my knowledge, Let's just say it works and worked a little to well

Quote Originally Posted by King_Jay16 View Post
    See MJJ's response.

Also having the equipment is one thing, knowing how to use it correctly so as in order to avoid getting caught is another...

I agree with this... same her in ATL. However sometimes you do come across open channels used for transmitting info that should have been on a secure channel. Depends on the hardware or software you use and the channels you are able to access in your area.

Even standing or walking by a cop etc you sometimes overhear info as well.
    Some private companies in the Tri-State area (delivery services, taxi, etc.) are operating VHF/UHF with voice-inversion, This is the classic garbled "mickey mouse" voice you might hear when scanning. It is not considered encryption under Federal Law and may be intercepted by anyone, Some companies are marketing boxes that you connect to the audio output on your scanner to do this with for $300-$1000.

A free and easy way (and works for most voice-inversion) is to switch SSB (Single Side Band) and go a few KHz up or down on the frequency, You can now make out what's being said (and LEGALLY!)

I've heard everything from the local Taxi companies to the neighboring towns crack-house using this method before, Most police cars that are on the Interstate here have SSB radios in them for this very purpose. Also helpful in listening to CB radio chatter.
    Last edited by ramesh; Jan 18, 2013 at 07:32 PM.

Welcome back mjj. Glad to hear that it all worked out and is now history.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com