Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu now fits your phone

Quote Originally Posted by igodit View Post
    You have to also remember, the pie was eaten by RIM and Nokia before.

Take a look at the demo and listen to what Mark Shuttleworth is saying about the roadmap of the device.

The general consensus is the OS looks solid, everyone that has seen it likes it, but that's not the real issue now is it. A lot of "nice" OS'es have fallen by the wayside (Web OS anyone?). I need to see the roadmap for bringing in developers, the application has to have applications that people will want to use and that will make it stand out from all the other devices. I guess only the market will decide if it wants one device to fit your lifestyle. I would buy it, but I'm a techie at heart so i don't count.

P.S. On a side note I am so sick and tired of people only using a picture editor/photo sharing to display the capability of a piece of tech.
    Last edited by topanaris; Jan 8, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......

igodit Guest

There is merit behind the OS and the developer community, if you recall Android is Linux-based operating system for mobile. In my own opinion, I think developers will simply port their apps to and for the Ubuntu OS, which is why I believe that in 18 months you will hear of acquisition rumors.

As to your postscript, you must remember that their audience essentially is the average consumer who uses these apps. For the tech savvy audience a more in-depth review with technical specification would be appropriate and I'm sure you can find that.

igodit Guest

There is merit behind the OS and the developer community, if you recall Android is Linux-based operating system for mobile. In my own opinion, I think developers will simply port their apps to and for the Ubuntu OS, which is why I believe that in 18 months you will hear of acquisition rumors.

As to your postscript, you must remember that their audience essentially is the average consumer who uses these apps. For the tech savvy audience a more in-depth review with technical specification would be appropriate and I'm sure you can find that.

They have not (yet) made porting of android apps especially easy since they did not port the Dalvik VM.

If I were in Canonical's shoes, I would enable as many development options as possible to get apps.

This would include porting the Dalvik VM, porting the Mono VM and create Mono/C# bindings to the Qt 5 API.
    This would allow android apps to be recompiled for Ubuntu, Windows/IOS/Android Mono apps could work on Ubuntu or share code with Ubuntu apps and Qt apps could be written in C# as well as C++ and QML.

The only problem would be that the cross compiled apps would not fit the Ubuntu UI, but could be temporary solutions until or if native apps are created.

igodit Guest

@jayrulez Dalvik VM is open source. This conversation has become too speculative without any facts, all I'm saying at this point is that the Ubuntu OS is in theory seamlessly close to the Android platform so I would not be surprised if there is talks of acquisition in the future.

Ohh don't mind me... I'm just lurking.
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

@jayrulez Dalvik VM is open source. This conversation has become too speculative without any facts, all I'm saying at this point is that the Ubuntu OS is in theory seamlessly close to the Android platform so I would not be surprised if there is talks of acquisition in the future.
    The open source nature is irrelevant. Canonical is selling the absence of a VM as a feature. Android and Ubuntu userlands are significantly different so porting Dalvik is not as easy as one might think.

Do you mean an acquisition by Google?

This thread belongs where it was originally created. smh
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Ok so the concept looks great, but what would be the incentive to switch really for the mass who to be honest aren't tech savvy. For those who don't care about docking and all those other pluses. I can recall a particular company introduced a concept called pad phone but that really didn't hit mainstream tho the concept was great. But on the other hand for those who a tech inclined its like really great news.

igodit Guest

When Google announced Android in 2007, I'm sure there was a lot of speculation on the demographic of its users. Fast forward to 2012/2013, Android is arguably the leading smartphone in the hands of the average consumer.

Canonical will do what they need to for their product to become relevant as a consumer product.