Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu now fits your phone

Quote Originally Posted by glenfordwilliams View Post
    true but if you are to get a majority of linux users out there to buy one that shouldnt be a problem. as it relates to developers thats the easy part
    And therein lies the problem my friend. If that's their target market then they will inevitably fail. You need the buy in of the masses.
    Last edited by topanaris; Jan 3, 2013 at 05:27 PM.
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......

True ting topanaris

Right now I'm more concerned about how many devices already out there will be supported cause I don't c many ppl buying a phone just for Ubuntu in this day and age...not while Google n apple are still going at it

Quote Originally Posted by topanaris View Post
    This looks rather nice, I was actually looking for a reason not to like it but I really couldn't find one. My thinking the phone mode should evolve to where PCs are right now, i.e. let me buy my hardware and choose what OS I want on it but I digress. The Ubuntu phone's biggest challenge will be developers, will they be able to woo enough of em over to have them develop meaningful apps. I must say I loved everything about what I have seen, more so than how I loved Android the first time I saw it. Ubuntu's next challenge will be to change public perception, the masses still see Linux as a geek's OS. Quite frankly I don't think there is enough room in the mobile eco-system for Ubuntu phone I think it'll get chewed up and spat out.
    the desktop os already has meaningful apps being made for it

Quote Originally Posted by Flexx17 View Post
    True ting topanaris

Right now I'm more concerned about how many devices already out there will be supported cause I don't c many ppl buying a phone just for Ubuntu in this day and age...not while Google n apple are still going at it
    Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding. Thats the answer to the million dollar question. I've said it once and I'll say it again, techies need to realize that we are the minority for a mobile OS to be successful it needs a couple things.

1. It must appeal to the common man.
    2. Must have a lot of apps 90% of which must be absolute garbage
    3. Must suit the common man's lifestyle
    4. Must be foolproof
    5. Above all else IT MUST JUST WORK.

But I guess the case could be made that the aforementioned speaks to phones and not the actual OS, but this begs the question - who'll make these phones. I think if they got a major player to buy in like say HTC or Samsung things might get interesting.

People buy phones that suit their lifestyle, they might exist but I have never hear anyone buy a phone because of the OS

Quote Originally Posted by wiel View Post
    the desktop os already has meaningful apps being made for it
    Quite true. But it says something when people would rather pay minimum $50 for another OS than install the one offered for free.
    Last edited by topanaris; Jan 3, 2013 at 06:32 PM.
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......

without good marketing it wont reach far

They would also need a good hardware manufacturer. If Nokia was not in bed with Microsoft it would be a hit. The could get support from Samsung as they want to sell hardware and I expect with Google fully releasing a Motorola phone soon it could be a way to really differentiate their lineup a bit more. We will see though.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

You know I kept scratching my head wondering what all this fuss was about....only to realize that I was mixing up
    http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android with http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone.
    I knew I dual booted ubuntu early last year.
    Calm Like a BOMB

igodit Guest

The challenge the Ubuntu OS for phones will have is with the manufactures and the carriers. Over the next 18 months I think the Ubuntu OS will rank right up with Android and will run the Android apps significantly thrusting it into consumer hands with manufacturer and carrier support. The advantage it will have is that it can run on existing Android hardware, so initially it will enter the market through tech savvy tinkers and if the history of Android is anything to go by there will be momentum. After that, you may even see an acquisition of Canonical.

The Pie is already eaten by Apple & Google. Ubuntu is a bit too late.
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

igodit Guest

You have to also remember, the pie was eaten by RIM and Nokia before.

Take a look at the demo and listen to what Mark Shuttleworth is saying about the roadmap of the device.

Last edited by igodit; Jan 8, 2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added YouTube Video with Mark Shuttleworth demo of the Ubuntu OS from CES 2013