Thread: PC Not Connecting to Wireless Router

Default PC Not Connecting to Wireless Router

Friend of mine has a really weird problem connecting wirelessly to a Lime router. He has a Nexxt wireless USB adapter in his desktop (Win7 Pro), and it's showing that it's online and passing data. But it says the router password is invalid in the wireless connection dialog. I've connected easily to that router using that password on my phone, and using the ethernet cable on the desktop, so it isn't a router issue. The desktop also easily connects to my AndroidAP hotspot which is password protected, so it's not the adapter.

I can only think of two things out of the ordinary. There was a saved wifi profile for the router which doesn't require a password, so I'm thinking he'd successfully connected before to it before. Also, I didn't check the security type (probably WPA), but that password looked pretty long to me: 17 characters. Could there be some incompatibility in the password length?
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

Have him check to see that WPS is disabled on the Lime Router if he has it and if the SSID was not changed after he put on the password have him delete that profile from his desktop and then search and reconnect to the wireless network.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    Have him check to see that WPS is disabled on the Lime Router if he has it and if the SSID was not changed after he put on the password have him delete that profile from his desktop and then search and reconnect to the wireless network.
    I did get the option to login with WPS when I first entered the password, but there's no WPS button on the router. Also, that profile was deleted, with no better result trying to enter the password.
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;

Check the router if it has MAC Adress restrictions. It may be set to only allow certain MAC addresses or to refuse specific ones.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

If it does have restrictions, then I doubt I could've connected my phone to it. And other people can connect their stuff to it too.

Your original assumption could be right. Some devices have a limit on the length of the password that can be used and may not connect to the routers as a result. While some devices allow you to use over 30 characters others are limited to 10 characters. Reduce the length of the password and try again then let us know how it turns out.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by Skele Drew View Post
    I did get the option to login with WPS when I first entered the password, but there's no WPS button on the router. Also, that profile was deleted, with no better result trying to enter the password.
    See if you could disable WPS from the web interface.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500