Thread: I want to use my Digicel 4g modem as a router

Default I want to use my Digicel 4g modem as a router

Guys, I have been using the latest digicel DX250 4g modem and 4g service for a few months now. Service obviously not as fast as flow, but the Wifii signal from the digicel modem is extremely strong compared to my linksys wireless router.

I had the flow system set like this: Flow Modem>> Linksys WRT-54GH (as router)>>Linksys WRT54G (now deceased) >>>))))) Wifi to computers...

Now that liksys wireless router has stopped working for some reason and I am back on flow service

I want to use the digicel modem like this:

Flow Modem>> Linksys WRT-54GH>> Digicel dx250 >>))))) Wifi to computers..

Anyone knows how to do this?

The DX250 cannot be used as a wireless router for another ISP's services. In other words its meant to route between the locally created private subnet and the Wimax network. It does not have an "internet" port that would be used to connect to say a DSL modem or another router. Its this "internet" port that actually does the routing.

The existing single ethernet port is used to connect another PC or a switch or router to the modem. if you connected a router, the router's "internet" port would be connected to the ethernet one and the router would presumably have PCs sitting on a different subnet otherwise routing would not be necessary in the first place.

I think I understand what you are trying to accomplish but it isn't going to work as you have described. If you had a dual wan router then users could surf on both networks and it could either load balance or failover but if its the case where you just want to use the DX250 as a router alone it just won't work.

But on the setup I have now with the Flow modem connected to the lynksis router and then that to a wireless linksys router.. I do not use the the internet port on the wireless linksys router and I do, infact, get wireless internet.

Actually the "internet port" on my wireless router was damaged after a lightning storm.
    I had a wired router and I didn't want to by another wireless router so I asked on this forum what I could do.
    I was told by the very members here on this forum, to disable the DNS server on the wireless router and plug the ethernet cable from the wired router into the "non" internet ports on the wireless router. And It worked! And I was using it like that for over a year. so I thought it could be possible on the digicel modem?

if you can find a ddwrt firmware that your modem supports it'll work, in the current setup "NADA"
    MY OWN HOUSE, CAR AND BUSINESS, LOVELY WIFE AND KIDS

Quote Originally Posted by M20 View Post
    But on the setup I have now with the Flow modem connected to the lynksis router and then that to a wireless linksys router.. I do not use the the internet port on the wireless linksys router and I do, infact, get wireless internet.

Actually the "internet port" on my wireless router was damaged after a lightning storm.
    I had a wired router and I didn't want to by another wireless router so I asked on this forum what I could do.
    I was told by the very members here on this forum, to disable the DNS server on the wireless router and plug the ethernet cable from the wired router into the "non" internet ports on the wireless router. And It worked! And I was using it like that for over a year. so I thought it could be possible on the digicel modem?
    Do you have an old computer lying around? You can make a wireless router from it. You just need to purchase a supported usb wireless network card.

Quote Originally Posted by M20 View Post

Well in that case you put the wireless router to act as a switch or you had it in bridge mode. It would be getting all the ip information from the wired router. More than likely the firmware on the digicel modem is only looking to get an Ip from digicel's services. I would expect it to some settings that you would not have access to from Digicel such as DNS server and Max allowed simultaneous connections.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Thanks for the answers.
    But I have abandoned my plans since I got my linksys wireless router to work again.