Thread: Sound issue

Default Sound issue

Compaq presario, Windows XP Professional SP3:

I formatted the pc and everything worked fine as i've done many times with many other pc's. however, i couldn't get the sound back. I usually install C-Media 3D audio software and it always works, but not on this pc.

When i check for the volume control icon at the bottom right corner on the task bar, there is none. when i locate it in the start menu and try to open volume control i get a msg that reads "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices go to the control panel click printers and other hardware and then click add hardware."

so i went to add new hardware and tried to see if i could do this, but everything that has to do with audio has a big yellow question mark beside it.

I've gone as far as downloading and installing driver genius pro and updated the sound software and still, no volume control and no sound.

What's the next alternative? i don't have any original software for this pc.

Please help.

THanks
    Last edited by stannodon; Dec 23, 2012 at 07:34 PM.

Post the exact model of the presario in question or link to the driver page for us to try and help you. On a guess - if it's REALTEK or certain other cards you need to install the HD audio driver.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Post the exact model of the presario in question or link to the driver page for us to try and help you. On a guess - if it's REALTEK or certain other cards you need to install the HD audio driver.
    to be honest, the original housing of the cpu was changed so if you know somewhere else i can find this info, pls share, otherwise, i'm really not sure.

If you're formatting with the original CDs then just go to the HP site and let them get your service tag information from the OS. Failing that just check on the motherboard for a part number or some other specs to show what it is. You could also use free software like SPECCY or BLACKBOX to get the board info and post here. Just Google the apps I mentioned.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Just to add to what khat said you can try Belarc advisor as well.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Thanks all for the help and apologies for the delayed response. I pulled the CPU and googled a sound software for the specific board. Works now!!!!!

Respek