Thread: Cheap pre-paid ISP recommendation

Default Cheap pre-paid ISP recommendation

For a long time now I've been searching for a reliable & cost effective (i.e cheap) pre-paid backup ISP for home.
    I have LIME ADSL but it has gotten unreliable with frequent downtime caused by technical problems and recently cable theft.
    I'm thinking about using Digicel 4G since Dekal for some strange reason dont work when my LIME ADSL goes down &
    LIME 3G have gotten frustratingly slow, webpages don’t even load at times on that thing.

Do you guys recommend Digicel 4G? Want to make sure it works fast and is reliable since now I have to buy new equipment which I never had to with LIME 3G or Dekal.
    In terms of features and price the Green Packet DX250 WiFi modem seem to be the best option for Digi 4G.
    What do you recommend, should I go with Digi and the Green Packet DX250 or are they just as slow as LIME 3G?

P.S I'm in the Digi 4G coverage area.

Digicel's 4G MiFi service was worth it to me as I had no problem streaming 720p content all day long. 1080p streaming is out of the question unless you like to wait on the buffering process to complete. Being able to connect 5 devices simultaneously is a definite advantage for me and my multiple gadgets while paying for only one data-plan. Torrent transfers will be painfully slow however, so this solution may not be best for you if that's what you had in mind. The quality is excellent for VOIP and playing multiplayer games online (compressed packets).

I'll soon stop using the 4G MiFi service since I now have a Mobile Hotspot feature enabled on my SGS3 to be shared with all my other devices when I'm away from home.
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

Thanks for the feedback, if you're able to stream 780p video on this then this should be good for me, I have no intention of using this to download torrents but might have a need for VOIP as I have Vonage. Only thing else I need to know is the quality of the Green Packet - DX250 WiFi modem

Are the Digicel modems in short supply? Been calling and visiting stores like crazy and no one seem to have any modems? Where in St. Catherine- Old Harbour, Spanish Town, Portmore or in St. Andrew - HWT, Cross Roads, New Kingston can I buy the DX250 WiFi modem?

Yes, them modem in short supply my friend check everywhere to get one of those modem last month.
    My Web sites: Jamaica Weather: http://jaweather.com , Best Smart DNS Service: http://bestdnsservice-usa.com , Phone Unlocking & Iphone Chargers: http://iphone-charger.net , Live Soccer TV: http://live-soccer-tv.net

Thanks for the conformation. And another thing the price for the one day plan has gone back to $300 it seems *sigh*

Finally got one to purchase, hope to run some test soon.

so VoIP works for u?because the last time I called digicel they said they didn't offer the service