Thread: Computer lab

Default Computer lab

Hi All,

I am trying to set up a computer lab. The company already have a domain, but I would like to separate the computers in the lab from the others to better manage them. I would also like a software similar to what is use in some internet cafe where when they log of the computer return to its original state. What do you suggest.

Also which is the best network monitoring tool.

Thanks
    Fortis Forever !

1. If ur using Windows O/S on the client systems then what you want to return the computer to a previous state when the user logs off is "Windows Steady State"
    2. Monitoring Tools are in abundance you just have to see what works for you but you can start with SpiceWorks or OpManage
    3. If you wanna separate the networks then what u need are VLANs but u'll need a switch or router with the capability
    Last edited by RZA; Nov 14, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
    MATADOR: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R, C2Q Q9400 @ 3.4GHz, ZALMAN CNPS9500, 6GB GSkill, Crucial C300 SSD 128GB, 2x 2TB WD Caviar Black, Diamond HD5850, 2x Plextor DVD+RW, RAIDMAX Scoprio 668WBP Case, Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-D-B 850W, Dell E228FP WideScreen 22", Logitech Z-2300, Windows 7 Pro x64

I used steady state back iin 08 but i didn't like it. The issue i had with it was that once an update was downloaded and installed it forced a restart without any warnings. So in a middle of a class the machines would just restart. I'm not sure if they have corrected that issue or given an option to control updates. I guess you could always do a full update and then turn auto update off.

A simple way to isolate the 2 networks apart from vlans is to install a router like smoothwall and then put the labs on a different subnet from the main network
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

thank for the guidance. I will explore those options.
    Fortis Forever !