Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 8 Start Menu

Jah know, Windows 8 interface is frustrating to say the least.
    My mom's got a new laptop with windows 7 and I upgraded it to windows 8 for $15.

Helping her get around windows 8 is a tedious task. And then to find out there is no way to disable this new metro UI to switch to the classical view, only added to frustration.
    Sometimes I really want to hear how these dev heads come to the conclusion of forcing a new UI unto users, without anyway of going back.

There wasn't even a small video explaining how to use the new window 8 interface. Had to figure things out on our own.

Uhg!!!!
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

^^^^

http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...029#post751029 the very last thing in that post.

The whole thread contains some good info that may help you. I am in the process of updating it now.

Let me know some of the issues you are having.
    Last edited by King_Jay16; Nov 16, 2012 at 10:38 AM.

I don't get the frustration..... why not just stick to win 7 if win 8 is a problem for her? lol

Also on the windows website there are quite a few how to's if she still wants to push through with win 8 here
    Mobile Device: Google/Lg Nexus 4
    Desktop: MSI 785GT E63 Motherboard/AMD Phenom II 555 X2 (Unlocked to B55 X4) AM3 CPU Cooled by COOLERMASTER Hyper 212 Plus/EVGA NVIDIA GTX260(dead after 4 years of ardent service. R.I.P./2 x 2Gb OCZ 800MHZ DDR2 Ram/Corsair TX750 PSU/NZXT Tempest Case

Quote Originally Posted by Yung_Hero View Post
    I don't get the frustration..... why not just stick to win 7 if win 8 is a problem for her? lol
    I would LOVE to "just" stick to windows 7, now that she/we have tried it. But what's the process of downgrading even after we have paid $15 for the upgrade?

If she gets too frustrated with it, will try the downgrading thing.
    Since I have to help her when she has computing problems I also have to read up on windows 8. Uhg!

@King_Jay, good thread. Will take a read.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    I would LOVE to "just" stick to windows 7, now that she/we have tried it. But what's the process of downgrading even after we have paid $15 for the upgrade?

If she gets too frustrated with it, will try the downgrading thing.
    Since I have to help her when she has computing problems I also have to read up on windows 8. Uhg!

@King_Jay, good thread. Will take a read.
    You can downgrade to Vista or W7: https://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...indows_7_Vista

Thanks, just trying to help out the community. You can use the third party programs to get back the regular start menu

And I think one or more of the free apps allows you to start and go straight to the desktop. For USD$15 tho it's a decent upgrade path. Future proof the machine kinda. In a few years when Win8 becomes like WinXP you'll already have it. In any case - if your OS is doing what you need don't bother with the upgrades. If you game however you may want to upgrade...
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

I was apprehensive at first but having upgraded a non-touchscreen notebook to W8 I like it. It feels like the machine performs better. The new Start screen does take some getting used to and I've closed most of the tiles, but the "Desktop" screen is still around and that's where I have my most frequently used apps pinned to the taskbar.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

ive just installed windows 8 and i didnt like the start menu at first but now im getting used to u and its really fun.
    This Year Mi Want Fi Rich Yeah Mi Want Fi Meck Some Money Tired A The Heartache Tired A The Worries