Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 Start Menu

Default Windows 8 Start Menu

Originally Start8 was the first thing I know of that brought back the start menu to Windows 8. As for that......Tested it. At first I did not like it at all. I don't use the Metro unless I have no choice. I installed Start8 (http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/) before it became fully payware and use a keyboard launcher (Executor / Launchy).

Overall the resource management is great. Problems I had (consumer preview) included FF kept on crashing and IE stopped working completely (crashed on every launch) after a while. Also at the time there were compatibility issues as not a lot of things were compatible or available with Win8 support. At current there are more things available.

IMO Win8 is not bad for the price. Other than the metro it seems overall a better OS. If they had the option to CHOOSE between the two instead of force Metro then it would be even better.

Recently I also found this (http://lee-soft.com/vistart/windows-8-start-menu.html) and (https://www.pokki.com/windows-8-start-menu) which I'll probably test out.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

So I guess you are happy now?

I've gone back to 7 for now. When I get a cheap 8 we'll see how it goes. May even go back to XP actually.........
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

I'm still running Win xp........ the new touchscreen windows 8 laptops are quite tempting, while many stores out here continue to sell some old win7 pcs at arm and leg prices
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    I've gone back to 7 for now. When I get a cheap 8 we'll see how it goes. May even go back to XP actually.........
    ... And I thought Merlin was the only guy who aged backwards. Poor Windows users. Don't worry: Microsoft owns Linux now.

Quote Originally Posted by carey View Post
    ... And I thought Merlin was the only guy who aged backwards. Poor Windows users. Don't worry: Microsoft owns Linux now.
    They don't but they're trying to. It will be a sad day if the things they want to do actually come to pass. Then I'll only have BSD................for a short time.......

Khat17 you know where i can get the original win98se shutdown sound?

respec, never thought a youtube, i'll just use nero or cool edit extract the audio

Quote Originally Posted by carey View Post
    HUH??? What's that mean?
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions