Thread: Setting Up a Desktop Wireless AP

Default Setting Up a Desktop Wireless AP

I have a desktop PC that I'd like to setup to share internet via wifi. The internet service I have access to requires a login that only allows one device at a time, so I'm guessing I have to use a computer for that part of it (like making a smartphone into a hotspot to allow other devices to use the data plan). The PC is running Win XP. What's the best hardware in terms of setup and especially for speed: wireless USB or PCI adapter? Apart from that, what else might be needed h/w or s/w-wise?

Or is there a router out there that can do the login and provide the wireless AP ? Really don't want to have to keep a desktop on for this...
    Last edited by Skele Drew; Oct 31, 2012 at 01:32 AM.
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...ireless-Router

or

http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...stock-firmware

DD-WRT may be able to help with that. So can pfSense - maybe IPCop and other such Linux/Debian based routing apps.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...ireless-Router

or

http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...stock-firmware

DD-WRT may be able to help with that. So can pfSense - maybe IPCop and other such Linux/Debian based routing apps.
    IDK if I'm missing something here or not. I'm not looking for a firewall, but a way to create a WLAN where I can connect to the internet using ISP provided login/password, and have the internet available on other devices on the network. The login is done through the web browser, so if there's a router f/w with a built in browser out there or something... otherwise I have to use the PC and share the internet from it.
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;

This means you must authenticate on the PC first using the web interface then get access. For this kind of access there is no distro or dd-wrt firmware that I know of that will handle this. Your options then would be free sharing apps like Proxy+ or old time app called Proksi. Anyways - can't help you there. If your thing could authenticate using MAC you could work something out using MAC cloning or so.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Is there a command line browser that could somehow be loaded into the DD-WRT f/w that is advanced enough to give a way to authenticate? Or maybe a script that takes care of it?