Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No internet service when power goes, even with a UPS

Default No internet service when power goes, even with a UPS

Can anyone shed some light, as to why both phone and internet service goes when the light goes for Flow?
    Even when on the internal battery, there is no phone/net service at all.

The same happens with Logic One cable internet. When power goes, the internet goes as well, even tho the modem is powered by the UPS.

Do these cable services need power at the poles or something?

LIME's ADSL uses the regular phone line, which carries it's own power in the line (DC I believe), so it can work without electricity.

But it is a real disadvantage to these cable internet services to require electricity, not just at the modem.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

In the housing scheme where I'm living there is a flow box about 29ft up on a pole and there is a JPS meter there also. I think it is a power supply but it should also contain a battery backup but I noticed that as we lose power my tv and internet went also.
    Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H .Crucial Ballistix Sports 8Gig ddr3. Llano A8 3870k Quad Core APU. 22" Acer 1680x1050 LCD monitor + 32'' 1080p LCD HDTV. Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Vapor X video card. Mobile: Galaxy Note 4.

Some of the equipment that they have may not have the backup batteries installed. They say that they try to have it in most places and the goal is to have it in all but that's not the case. The last two places I lived I'd have service when there's an outage but at current that's not the case. I asked about it and they say they don't know when they'll get to it. Call and talk to Tech Support and badger them - maybe you'll get answers or get through.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    Can anyone shed some light, as to why both phone and internet service goes when the light goes for Flow?
    Even when on the internal battery, there is no phone/net service at all.

The same happens with Logic One cable internet. When power goes, the internet goes as well, even tho the modem is powered by the UPS.

Do these cable services need power at the poles or something?

LIME's ADSL uses the regular phone line, which carries it's own power in the line (DC I believe), so it can work without electricity.

But it is a real disadvantage to these cable internet services to require electricity, not just at the modem.
    Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Some of the equipment that they have may not have the backup batteries installed. They say that they try to have it in most places and the goal is to have it in all but that's not the case. The last two places I lived I'd have service when there's an outage but at current that's not the case. I asked about it and they say they don't know when they'll get to it. Call and talk to Tech Support and badger them - maybe you'll get answers or get through.
    The fibre optic nodes (big silver box) need power and this is supplied by one of the thick cables running to it, however it requires a enclosure with a UPS as khat has alluded to and Flow just does not have enough for their entire network. Additionally when the battery drains in them thats it for your service so unless they have generators connected to these enclosures for a long outage like a Hurricane and the days after you may out of service.

Flow has made the most investment in terms of having a backup in case of loss of utility power as you will notice that the other cable providers tend to just have generators at their headend and not much else on their networks. However it does suck when you have power at home and no internet/phone/cable.

I'm surprise that Flow is having this problem as well, of all the companies I expect them to have a more robust network.
    Anyway, just to add LIME is not immune to this problem I experienced the same frustration with them, after much complaining it appears they finally install backup power in that outdoor plant module they have in my community. I had internet during the hurricane and a day later, but I'm concern now because I lost internet during a power outage on Friday, hope the backup power unit wasn't damaged or removed.
    This problem can be incredibly frustrating especially when you are in a community that experience frequent power outages.

I don't have this issue,.. At home and at work when power goes Net and Phone still run for about 12mins until modem battery dies..
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

No problems here in portmore for me. I have my modem & firewall on a UPS & when power goes i still have internet
    MATADOR: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R, C2Q Q9400 @ 3.4GHz, ZALMAN CNPS9500, 6GB GSkill, Crucial C300 SSD 128GB, 2x 2TB WD Caviar Black, Diamond HD5850, 2x Plextor DVD+RW, RAIDMAX Scoprio 668WBP Case, Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-D-B 850W, Dell E228FP WideScreen 22", Logitech Z-2300, Windows 7 Pro x64

Interesting topic you raised Arch_Angel. It has always been an issue for me.

It is the kind of service that seems to dominate here in Jamaica: A kind-of 'third world' mentality (if there is such a thing) whereby companies try and get away with as little customer service/satisfaction as far as possible.
    Really they should have backup power on all their boxes and it should be an exception that a box is not backed up.
    I face that problem with logic one (not sure about Flow).

On the other hand, it makes me reflect on the type of service I am offering to my own clients .....hmmm...ouch !
    I recommend Ubuntu

Simple reason...Poor/Cheap Network design - Little or No redundant Power Systems in place
    Therefore you are left out in the cold but the average consumer never considers this only when service is down.
    So you get what you pay for!!
    I dont need to know everything, I just need to know where to find the answer...Einstein

Omar O Thompson (CISA, CCSP, CCDA, CCNA, NCDS(CS1000), LPIC-1, Linux+)

I am prefer offline options but as the internet gets more and more embed in everyday life and people move to cloud based solutions its just going to get harder and harder for some people to live without it even for a short period of time. Everything runs on electricity and even if you have your own backup power you would have to power every node that is connecting you to the websites your want to visit which is monumental task. Hopefully solar energy gets more efficient and compact.