Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCNP - Is it in demand in Jamaica?

Default CCNP - Is it in demand in Jamaica?

I just completed my ccna exam and looking to move into the ccnp curriculum but I would really like to know
    what's the demand is like for holders of ccnp cert?

it is in demand but only with telcoms like digi and lime......

but if u have it, you are going to be told that you should have some experience and it is hard to get in these organizations...

best bet would be to get it and try lookling overseas........
    Dip,Bsc,CCNA,CCSP,MCP.. Up next MCSA WINDOWS 8, CCNA SECURITY,CCNP SWITCH,
    CCNA SEEKING AN OPPORTUNITY
    Theres no Friend Like Google..........

thanks for the response. it doesnt sound good at all but i will go at it nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by crazeeplayer View Post
    it is in demand but only with telcoms like digi and lime......

but if u have it, you are going to be told that you should have some experience and it is hard to get in these organizations...

best bet would be to get it and try looking overseas........
    I mainly see digicel posting engineer jobs but they are far and few between. I am in the same boat as I finish up the CCNP track. You have to look at the ISP's, banks and some other financial institutions and a few service provider companies. If you go overseas they are going to ask if you have "US" experience so you may need to find a crap job just to pad your resume.

Quote Originally Posted by WanabeR View Post
    I mainly see digicel posting engineer jobs but they are far and few between. I am in the same boat as I finish up the CCNP track. You have to look at the ISP's, banks and some other financial institutions and a few service provider companies. If you go overseas they are going to ask if you have "US" experience so you may need to find a crap job just to pad your resume.
    The US is much friendlier, finding a crap job isnt necessary in all cases esp if you have experience in one of the larger organizations locally or even government. AT&T is always a good start. super large and in nearly every state.
    THANK GOD

ok cool. But do you know of people who has been successfully gotten into AT&T?

basically- i think the instructors out here create this false hope about cisco certs... they make it seem that once you get the certs that this magical world will appear where co panies offer you huge contracts, you accept everything is good in the world... sad to say this is not so in the real world... for once you get the certs the next thing is 'experience'. no one wants to hire a fresher. so even with ccnp or ccie the job market is still tough......................
    Dip,Bsc,CCNA,CCSP,MCP.. Up next MCSA WINDOWS 8, CCNA SECURITY,CCNP SWITCH,
    CCNA SEEKING AN OPPORTUNITY
    Theres no Friend Like Google..........

Quote Originally Posted by crazeeplayer View Post
    basically- i think the instructors out here create this false hope about cisco certs... they make it seem that once you get the certs that this magical world will appear where co panies offer you huge contracts, you accept everything is good in the world... sad to say this is not so in the real world... for once you get the certs the next thing is 'experience'. no one wants to hire a fresher. so even with ccnp or ccie the job market is still tough......................
    Well said sir well said, I agree with you 100%. The reality is the job market is tough and there is no silver bullet to finding a job in tech, just have to grind it out. I was VERY fortunate to get a job 2 days after finishing my CCNA but i dont think thats the norm, plus they took my previous experience into account.
    Last edited by topanaris; Aug 31, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......

In order to understand the relevance of the cert, you need to understand the needs of the people who hire people.

How big are the companies that are hiring?
    How specialized are their requirements?
    What will the CCNP be doing each day?

AT&T is a big company. They will need specialized skills. There is enough CCNP work to keep a CCNP busy each day.

The typical Jamaican company is not big. They do not need specialized skills. There is not enough CCNP work to keep the CCNP busy each day.

the ISP's, banks and some other financial institutions and a few service provider companies.
    These Jamaican companies are big, they need specialized skills and there might be enough CCNP work to keep the CCNP busy each day.

So if your potential employer does not need a full time CCNP, what other skills do you bring to the table? What will you be doing each day when there is no CCNP work to be done? Do you have Microsoft certs so you can manage the day to day network stuff? Do you have Linux certs so you can manage the mail server, firewall, instant messaging server?

Having a cert in a very specialized area limits your marketability. How many accountants are employed in Jamaica? How many actuaries are employed in Jamaica?

So true, well said.... I do agree with you 100%..