Thread: Need a list of relevant IT/CS certification courses

Default Need a list of relevant IT/CS certification courses

Well, the deal is this: my company wants us (IT/CS staff) to make a list of certification courses that we would like to do and would benefit the company. When I say benefit the company meaning that for certain jobs instead of outsourcing the job we would do it ourselves since we would be certified to do so. Cost is not a problem as they would be paying for it.

Examples of these courses are as follows :

1. CISCO CNNA
    2. Microsoft Courses
    3.Courses that would be beneficial to Developers.

What suggestions do you have?

*CCNA,CCNP,CEH, A+,SEC+,NET+, PMP,Project+ etc
    Dip,Bsc,CCNA,CCSP,MCP.. Up next MCSA WINDOWS 8, CCNA SECURITY,CCNP SWITCH,
    CCNA SEEKING AN OPPORTUNITY
    Theres no Friend Like Google..........

Start with Microsoft certifications. These are the standard since most companies run Windows networks. Once you have those, you will be on par with most people. Back in the day Microsoft called it MCSE. Not sure what they call it now. Visit www.microsoft.com/learning to find out.

Make sure to study and pass the exams after you sit the classes.

To stand out from the crowd you will want to get some extra skills. CCNA and Linux certs are good things to have. Linux Professional Institue (LPIC) or Linux + would be useful.

Remember that it takes more than certs to implement and manage I.T. infrastructure. Try and keep management's expectations realistic. You won't be able to replace the outsourced technicians immediately after passing your exams. You will have to work with them for a while and gradually take over some functions as your knowledge/experience improves.

Please do not think you are an expert after you have passed some exams. I have seen this far too often. The certs provide you with a solid base on which to build.

One more thing to keep in mind. Microsoft appears to be transitioning its certifications to cloud based technology. In my opinion, it is too early to tell how this will work out. It really depends on the extent to which companies embrace cloud based technology in the next couple of years. You will have to decide if you will go the traditional LAN based certification route or the cloud based certification. I have no clue which is best at this time.
    Last edited by jamrock; Aug 21, 2012 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post

Please do not think you are an expert after you have passed some exams. I have seen this far too often. The certs provide you with a solid base on which to build.

Funny, my boss said this the other day... guess its true.
    Current: LG Nexus 5 - Digicel
    Retired: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    Start with Microsoft certifications. These are the standard since most companies run Windows networks. Once you have those, you will be on par with most people. Back in the day Microsoft called it MCSE. Not sure what they call it now. Visit www.microsoft.com/learning to find out.

Make sure to study and pass the exams after you sit the classes.

To stand out from the crowd you will want to get some extra skills. CCNA and Linux certs are good things to have. Linux Professional Institue (LPIC) or Linux + would be useful.

Remember that it takes more than certs to implement and manage I.T. infrastructure. Try and keep management's expectations realistic. You won't be able to replace the outsourced technicians immediately after passing your exams. You will have to work with them for a while and gradually take over some functions as your knowledge/experience improves.

One more thing to keep in mind. Microsoft appears to be transitioning its certifications to cloud based technology. In my opinion, it is too early to tell how this will work out. It really depends on the extent to which companies embrace cloud based technology in the next couple of years. You will have to decide if you will go the traditional LAN based certification route or the cloud based certification. I have no clue which is best at this time.
    I do my best to avoid that type of thinking... tends to get you in more trouble than it is worth. Plus being an "expert" you still learn something new everyday. The intent is not immediately replace outsourced jobs immediately after certification but to work with them as you stated above and use the principle of knowledge transfer. Which what I am currently doing.

I intend to pass every exam I sit, hard work pays... plus i already set the bar high by acing the IBM cert, so they are more than expecting the same results if not better on future certs...

I may look into some SAP courses as well but those would be some of the last ones, as they require a lot of time to complete.

Quote Originally Posted by madcats99 View Post
    Funny, my boss said this the other day... guess its true.
    lol i know what you mean... i see it a lot... and yes it is very true...

Nonetheless thanks for the tips.. we are already looking into the Microsoft courses as we are a Microsoft Certified Partner as well as many others including Lenovo, SAP and IBM

The type of certs we will be doing will vary at least in the initial stages, we will probably compile a list and choose the most appropriate ones first and go from there, but at the end of the day the aim is to have at least two persons with overlapping certs to ensure that the knowledge sticks around if one does leave.
    Last edited by King_Jay16; Aug 21, 2012 at 10:49 AM.

jackal Guest

.................................................. ....................
    Last edited by jackal; Apr 21, 2013 at 10:19 AM.