Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone try Foresight Linux yet?

Default Anyone try Foresight Linux yet?

http://www.foresightlinux.org/
    Foresight uses conary, that makes it different from all other Linux distributions out there. Rolling updates and easy to rollback system to a earlier stage.
    Ever used it? What do you think of Conary? What flaws do you see at first look?

Testing this weekend hopefully if I can find the time.
    "Every step we can take to secure ourselves from a government that no longer respects our privacy is a patriotic act." .. (whistleblower Edward Snowden)

I'm a Foresight Developer. Need any information about conary, will be around and help if needed.
    Best wiki to read about Foresight: http://www.foresightlinux.se/wiki-en...itle=Main_Page

Quote Originally Posted by TForsman View Post
    I'm a Foresight Developer. Need any information about conary, will be around and help if needed.
    Best wiki to read about Foresight: http://www.foresightlinux.se/wiki-en...itle=Main_Page
    Welcome TForsman. Does Foresight support ARM architecture, like Raspberry Pi and Teensy? Is running Foresight from within another GNU/Linux possible using methods like systemd-nspawn or user-mode linux? And is anaconda the only GUI available? Or do you have a choice of CLI or manual installation like Arch for instance?

Quote Originally Posted by carey View Post
    Welcome TForsman. Does Foresight support ARM architecture, like Raspberry Pi and Teensy? Is running Foresight from within another GNU/Linux possible using methods like systemd-nspawn or user-mode linux? And is anaconda the only GUI available? Or do you have a choice of CLI or manual installation like Arch for instance?

Thanks for the welcome. And no, Foresight doesn't support ARM achitecture yet. We don't have anyone developing for that yet. We only have Anaconda or text installation. Before we had net installation, but too much work to keep going and no one was using that way.

If you want to get more control and less packages in your Foresight, it's easy to start minimize it. As Foresight has alot of "package groups", so you can start removing groups and get a minimal Foresight. Planning to write more about that in the wiki.

Wrote a fast post about similar way for openbox:
    http://www.foresightlinux.se/foresig...x-environment/
    I've heard: When the RedHat developers present new packages to Linux User-Group, before the meeting is over,Foresight people will have downloaded the source, created a Foresight package, uploaded it,and it will be available for anyone to use.

hmmmm

So is it ready to be used on embedded systems ?
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

About embedded systems, I have no knowledge about that. Not my department and have no personal knowledge about that, sorry.

If someone wonders what else uses conary, then take a peak at: http://www.openfiler.com too. (no huge knowledge about openfiler either)
    I've heard: When the RedHat developers present new packages to Linux User-Group, before the meeting is over,Foresight people will have downloaded the source, created a Foresight package, uploaded it,and it will be available for anyone to use.

At the moment, my installation is configured this way:
    1. GUID filesystem on 250GB HDD
    2. Grub2 boot loading
    3. Arch 64
    4. BTRFS filesystem, a swap partition, some leftover space (BTRFS can be shrunk anyway)
    5. Testing Razor-qt, Spectrwm, E17, and Tmux of which Razor-qt is the default desktop manager. Razor-qt is fast and light, maybe even more so than LXDE.
    6. Netcfg for network management
    7. Total systemd boot and process management

Does Foresight allow changing the boot manager/init system from Sysvinit to whatever you wish?
    If you want to get more control and less packages in your Foresight, it's easy to start minimize it. As Foresight has alot of "package groups", so you can start removing groups and get a minimal Foresight. Planning to write more about that in the wiki.
    How much customization is allowed? Where may I find the history of the distro? What inspired it? Did ideas come from Gobolinux, Puppy, NetBSD and such?

I hope I am not plaguing you with questions . I have not learned IRC as yet and have not much web access.

There are 2 virtualization systems on my laptop: VirtualBox and Libvirt. Still trying to get libvirt working properly with systemd as I have no rc.d anymore. May also be getting rid of cronie in a bit. I guess with your package groups system it is possible to setup groups specific to things like most of the above settings?

By the way, does Foresight have a Google+ page yet?

Let's see if I can answer most of it.....

By the way, does Foresight have a Google+ page yet?
    Yes: https://plus.google.com/b/1035121609...60921328059937

Does Foresight allow changing the boot manager/init system from Sysvinit to whatever you wish?
    Probably, but im not 100% sure. Don't have so much info about this. The developer that handles this, is on vacation and are back 1 aug again.
    We follow fedora way, the way they used to handle it in Fedora 15,16.

How much customization is allowed?
    When installing foresight, you can skip to install bootloader, to keep what you have and add it manually in grub2. We only have older grub and we recommend to use Syslinux linux instead. Also you can probably customize most stuff. As our system is close to Fedora.

Where may I find the history of the distro? What inspired it? Did ideas come from Gobolinux, Puppy, NetBSD and such?
    Some history is located here:
    http://wiki.foresightlinux.org/wiki/...oresight+Linux
    We aren't aiming to be the first dist to always release latest packages, we are also consider to be stable.
    We aren't following any dist, we aren't based on any other dist either. Originally based on rpath, but kinda standalone today. When we release Foresight 3, then we are standalone and not even based on rpath at all.

I mostly only updates, create new packages and maintain Lxde in Foresight. Also fix bugs and stuff. So my knowledge isn't so great when it comes down to specific stuff in system.

Conary is what makes Foresight unique.

forgot about tweaking Foresight.

If you want to slim it down, you can always do: conary search '*group*' and see all groups, thats installed and which ones that are not.
    then you can do: conary q group-codecs --troves to see which packages are in that group, if you want to get rid of everything: sudo conary erase group-codecs

Those most interested groups are:
    group-desktop-common
    group-internet
    group-codecs
    group-xorg
    group-gnome-dist (if using gnome)
    group-xfce-dist (if using xfce)
    group-lxde-dist (if using lxde)

To see whats in the groups:
    conary q group-internet --troves

Made something like for Lxde here: http://www.foresightlinux.se/wiki-en...php?title=Lxde
    There you can see the gorups and see whats inside the groups.

Off course you can uninstall invidual packages too, but if you really want to slim it, a uninstall of a group gets rid of ALOT in an easy way. And never comes back until you specific install the application or group again.