Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux gaming

Not interested in the fact that Linux is more stable? And not interested in the fact that M$ was built on a stolen application? Hehe. In any case - that's a debate for another time.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by topanaris View Post
    Elaborate more pon a part deh boss man, i dont recall seeing in the M$ EULA that you are being asked to pirate anything. I can understand a techie trying to game on linux box for the sake of doing it because he likes the challenge, but still
    So you skip number 2 like a real bible-bashing christendomite? pick-and-chooser? I don't have $20,000 to buy Windows. So, if not WINE, what else is there but to pirate? Khat17 hit all the nails with those 6. Though I don't mind #5. M$ has no base concept: only "absorb and conquer". They see something they {don't} like they going to own it. Then destroy it. I am beginning to think M$ has never originated anything.

Right, now this machine has a live, sensitive experiment that Windows will not support. Viz, BTRFS on GPT. I don't have any goals for this experiment. Just trying to eek out performance and space that MSDOS-pt would have restricted/lost. But, the games are programmed to work with M$ products. Funny how when people unsuccessfully attempt to run programs for Windows they are told "Go get a proper OS" or "Go install M$ Windows"; but if an open source app doesn't run on Windows but runs on every other OS there is an uproar for Windows support. I fully support M$ users buying software. They can afford it.
    Last edited by carey; Jul 4, 2012 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carey View Post
    So you skip number 2 like a real bible-bashing christendomite? pick-and-chooser? I don't have $20,000 to buy Windows. So, if not WINE, what else is there but to pirate? Khat17 hit all the nails with those 6. Though I don't mind #5. M$ has no base concept: only "absorb and conquer". They see something they {don't} like they going to own it. Then destroy it. I am beginning to think M$ has never originated anything.

Right, now this machine has a live, sensitive experiment that Windows will not support. Viz, BTRFS on GPT. I don't have any goals for this experiment. Just trying to eek out performance and space that MSDOS-pt would have restricted/lost.
    Whats with the hostility? trying to have a civil discussion no need for name calling, why are you people so angry anyway? With all your anti M$ rhetoric? M$ is big and evil grrrr i hate them grrrr, too expensive grrrr, they should die grrrr M$ sucks grrrrrr, they stole ideas grrrrrr, i want to be free so i use linux grrrrr. And for the record boss man i highlighted those two points because khat whether purposefully or otherwise suggested that there is an implicit need to pirate once you decide to use windows. M$ reminds me off LIME a company that people love to hate, not realizing their relevance to their eveyday life.
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......

Notice the trend - originally M$ stole the idea for DOS and then built on it.

M$ wasn't a better OS then MAC but it was marketed better - Bill Gates was good at that.

M$ - though expensive - was still cheaper than MAC, which is what made it viable.

Games are exclusively written for M$ with some exceptions. For those who can't afford to spend the 20+k for Windows other OSes are a good alternative.

Note that XP is no longer supported or sold by M$, and if you're to keep up with technology you going be broke. I for one own XP and 7 and I not going to 8 - at least for now. I'd say "ever" but I may have to eat those words in a few years.

If Windows was being sold for like 10k then that would be better - but when things like all M$ Office Pro - with all the bells and whistles - is being sold for USD$400 then that's where I draw the line. I could buy MUCH other software for that. I didn't even spend HALF of that on Sony Vegas.

Anyways - to each his own. Use what you like. I currently use both Linux and Windows and for me I find that I can get either to work but gaming and video editing is still a Windows/MAC platform. Some games exist on Linux but getting CS: S, Portal, etc to run on Linux without CEDEGA is a PITA.

GIMP is still the best free (and known) editing application for images but the learning curve too high. I rather Inkscape personally.

Again - where gaming and video editing is concerned Windows reigns supreme. Where stability and community is concerned there's Linux. Where high prices are concerned there's MAC (still more stable than Windows but no gaming and highly priced IMO).
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Notice the trend - originally M$ stole the idea for DOS and then built on it.

M$ wasn't a better OS then MAC but it was marketed better - Bill Gates was good at that.

M$ - though expensive - was still cheaper than MAC, which is what made it viable.

Games are exclusively written for M$ with some exceptions. For those who can't afford to spend the 20+k for Windows other OSes are a good alternative.

Note that XP is no longer supported or sold by M$, and if you're to keep up with technology you going be broke. I for one own XP and 7 and I not going to 8 - at least for now. I'd say "ever" but I may have to eat those words in a few years.

If Windows was being sold for like 10k then that would be better - but when things like all M$ Office Pro - with all the bells and whistles - is being sold for USD$400 then that's where I draw the line. I could buy MUCH other software for that. I didn't even spend HALF of that on Sony Vegas.

Anyways - to each his own. Use what you like. I currently use both Linux and Windows and for me I find that I can get either to work but gaming and video editing is still a Windows/MAC platform. Some games exist on Linux but getting CS: S, Portal, etc to run on Linux without CEDEGA is a PITA.

GIMP is still the best free (and known) editing application for images but the learning curve too high. I rather Inkscape personally.

Again - where gaming and video editing is concerned Windows reigns supreme. Where stability and community is concerned there's Linux. Where high prices are concerned there's MAC (still more stable than Windows but no gaming and highly priced IMO).
    Now thats a well thought out and constructed argument. All points taken, when i made my first post in this thread i was indirectly alluding to the expected performance loss associated with running emulators as we all know running the emulator itself consumes cpu cycles. So i guess the next question now becomes how many of us actually buy Windows based PC games (i am yet to meet a techie who has bought any save for WoW). As for Linux based games i havent tried one for the past 5 years, might just do that now to see the advancements made since 2007. Are there any major commercial releases being ported to linux?

My games list. Thank you very much.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/khat17/games?tab=all

And as for major releases - once STEAM is ported to Linux then it's a matter of time I guess. Some games are currently running on MAC but not all.

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    My games list. Thank you very much.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/khat17/games?tab=all

And as for major releases - once STEAM is ported to Linux then it's a matter of time I guess. Some games are currently running on MAC but not all.
    Khat u a go hard yute lol. 115 lol. I have about 77 myself.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Wow i have definitely been out of the loop for way too long......

To go against the rules (which AA may box me for) here's some info on what I do personally. I never buy a game for full price (except the Assassin's Creed series and L4D2 - or if it's cheap). When a game comes out usually I "otherwise acquire it" and then try it out. If I think it's worth getting then I'll buy it either when it's on sale or same time if it's cheap. Most games for USD$5-USD$20 I would buy - but anything over that requires either a sale, gift, win in competition or something else. I will occasionally buy games for friends on my list as well if I find something on their wish list which is either on sale or cheap.

That does make a lot of sense. Personally if i was still into PC gaming based on what im seeing in this thread i would live on steam it looks like a good deal.