Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux gaming

Default Linux gaming

What is the state of gaming on your installation (if you do play games on linux)? The indie linux games are as much fun to me as any other game. I just got a chance to play Super Maryo Chronicles. TU!

addon convo => http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...7-linux-gaming

Yea I recently started scoping the software center and found some very decent indie titles. There is a FPS that I was playing the other day who's name I cannot remember for the life of me, but it was pretty decent
    Laptop: HP DV6700t - Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia 8400m GS, 250GB HDD. Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by Skillachi View Post
    Yea I recently started scoping the software center and found some very decent indie titles. There is a FPS that I was playing the other day who's name I cannot remember for the life of me, but it was pretty decent
    Describe it.

I had Desura running on a previous install. Decent collection of games that. I can't get it running on this system nor will I try anymore. Security is now a concern in it.

I think the statement "Linux Gaming" is an oxymoron, which begs the question why would you want to game on a linux box? Not being facetious just curious
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......

Quote Originally Posted by topanaris View Post
    I think the statement "Linux Gaming" is an oxymoron, which begs the question why would you want to game on a linux box? Not being facetious just curious
    Because I don't own a windows nor mac box.

Depends on what you are looking for. People who want certain hot title games, and the latest versions, are better off with Windows. For others who are open and looking for something fun and new, there are some good titles in the Ubuntu Software Center, especial in the paid section, plus big game companies as EA are currently testing the waters... I heard the test game they released in the software center sold very well, so that might encourage them to port other games to Linux.

Or use Cedega to run your Windows games. Or just wait for STEAM to be ported to Linux and then throw out Windows all together...........except for editing. Can't find anything to match the Windows editing apps. GIMP is a good Photoshop replacement but it has a steep learning curve IMO.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Or use Cedega to run your Windows games. Or just wait for STEAM to be ported to Linux and then throw out Windows all together...........except for editing. Can't find anything to match the Windows editing apps. GIMP is a good Photoshop replacement but it has a steep learning curve IMO.
    Which begs the question - if you're gonna run software to emulate windows applications why not just run windows?

Which begs the question - if you're gonna run software to emulate windows applications why not just run windows?
    Because some people:
    1. Rather an OS that you don't have to pirate
    2. Can't afford to buy windows
    3. Don't want to pirate Windows
    4. Rather Linux for the stability
    5. Hate the original concept under which M$ was built
    6. Don't want to dual-boot
    There may be others but I'm running on the road and can't be bothered right now.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Because some people:
    1. Rather an OS that you don't have to pirate
    2. Can't afford to buy windows
    3. Don't want to pirate Windows
    4. Rather Linux for the stability
    5. Hate the original concept under which M$ was built
    6. Don't want to dual-boot
    There may be others but I'm running on the road and can't be bothered right now.
    Elaborate more pon a part deh boss man, i dont recall seeing in the M$ EULA that you are being asked to pirate anything. I can understand a techie trying to game on linux box for the sake of doing it because he likes the challenge, but still