Thread: Power Supply Placement in a case

Default Power Supply Placement in a case

Mounting it in the base of your case seems to be the new standard.

Lets discuss this shall we.
    AMD FX 8150 @ 4.2Ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | 8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance | XFX Radeon 6850| 19" Acer AL1916W | Western Digital Raptor 160GB 10,000RPM 16MB | 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB | 1 x SAMSUNG 750GB | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | Cooler Master Extreme 2 525 | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 THX 500Watts

I welcome this new change it keeps the excess wiring on the base of the case where it can be somewhat neatly tucked away. It also isolates the heat from the PSU to the base of the case instead of near the CPU when it was formerly placed at the top of the case

Quote Originally Posted by Flexx17 View Post
    I welcome this new change it keeps the excess wiring on the base of the case where it can be somewhat neatly tucked away. It also isolates the heat from the PSU to the base of the case instead of near the CPU when it was formerly placed at the top of the case
    Point taken with the neatness when its mounted at the base. But if you have a fully modular or even semi modular PSU I can see where that wouldn't be a tie breaker.

I more see the benefits of base mounting your PSU when it comes to top mounted fans and even water cooling where the space at the top is the preferred area for that.

But what about when your PSU has a fan at the bottom which intakes air and then exhausts it out the back? When its at the bottom wont it be taking up dust as well, and even with filters it could be more detrimental to you PSU if the intake airway is blocked.
    AMD FX 8150 @ 4.2Ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | 8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance | XFX Radeon 6850| 19" Acer AL1916W | Western Digital Raptor 160GB 10,000RPM 16MB | 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB | 1 x SAMSUNG 750GB | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | Cooler Master Extreme 2 525 | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 THX 500Watts

Thats why i keep my PC on the table where there is minimum dust buildup....i clean it every week too.....but for others having it in a dusty environment.....point the fan upwards then mount a fan on the side of the case dumping in Cold fresh air (which will almost be blowing directly on it)

PS: Point taken about water cooling and so forth.....i think thats the main reason modern cases come with the mounting area at the base now that u mention it

It seems to be a play on the original BTX form factor. Doesn't matter much to me which way it's turned. As long as good cable management is done then all is well. Speaking of which, my machine is a poor example of that........

http://www.formfactors.org/formfactor.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_form_factor
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

I like this form factor. It makes mid tower cases seem to have more room. I do not worry about dust reaching the power supply as I have mine set up to pull air from inside the case. I just wish more power supply manufactures made longer cables for this form factor.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    I like this form factor. I just wish more power supply manufactures made longer cables for this form factor.
    we both share the same sentiments