Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Digicel Group - Software Developer or Support Engineer - Salary

Regarding salary at Digicel, based on my discussions with people there, I find that they have a significantly large band for positions that should be in the same pay grade which I assume is due to how much the company valued each person and their negotiating skills. so just wait for your offer letter to find out what you would be getting.
    Thanks for the information thus far pogi bread, you have been the only helpful one so far....so let me leave my feedback now that I have received elsewhere the information I required.

While everyone is entitled to their own beliefs on issues such as salaries, my research has shown that the less educated countries are less likely to be open about specifics on salaries etc.
    In more educated countries the general belief is that salary details contribute to an open ideology of choice eventually leading to better and more efficient decision making for all parties involved.
    Parties involved inna dis yah case yah wud be:
    Employees of the subject company - Benefits by making the public aware of the value companies have placed on their efforts, this increases awareness and forces companies to be fair in compensation depending on industry standards.
    Persons interested in salary info - Gives them a wide competitive picture which allows the best talent to go to the company that pays within the confines of fairness and general consideration of its employees skills.
    Other participants - Others may view information such as this and are able to plan according to long term expectations rather than simply taking a job only because its available....among other benefits

Suh fi di people dem who beleeeeve dat salary should be private just remember that its ok to think so as we are a part of an uneducated culture thus our youthful perspective on an area that actually moves us further rather than backward.
    Again, like mi seh....if yuh nuh know wah dem pay den juss low di post....a nuh disrespek...a juss a request....zeen?...zeen

Keeping salaries private is really a tool for keeping poor people poor, seriously. CEOs and general managers often take home 6 figure salaries - A MONTH plus benefits, company cars, housing, secretaries, and free snacks. Always research and negotiate for as much as you can get especially from large profitable companies - get a balance sheet if you must. Its works out better for you if you are not desperately looking for a job. Time is money.

I like open broadcasting of salaries. It means that persons know what to expect when going in. Problem is that in Jamaica we don't pay what say America/Canada/England would pay. Not even Cayman/TCI pay as low as Jamaica. There are people in companies overseas that have phone bills higher than my salary. Heh. Just saying. So glad you got what you wanted. Hope you find something that pays 3.5 million a year or higher locally that is not a managerial position.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    Keeping salaries private is really a tool for keeping poor people poor, seriously. CEOs and general managers often take home 6 figure salaries - A MONTH plus benefits, company cars, housing, secretaries, and free snacks. Always research and negotiate for as much as you can get especially from large profitable companies - get a balance sheet if you must. Its works out better for you if you are not desperately looking for a job. Time is money.
    I agree with everything you just said. Also, companies that keep emphasizing that salary info is not to be shared with anyone else are usually ones where you'll see great disparity in salaries even across groups of people that perform similar job functions and have the same qualifications.

If its an entry level position, you might not have much grounds on which to negotiate but for anything higher, negotiation is key. Be very wary of answering the "what are your salary expectations" question too unless you have a good idea of what the role pays.

aksultra - Since you got the info you were looking for and we're talking about freely sharing this type of info, why don't you share with us the figures you heard?
    Roaming Donkey - Roaming Donkey: The easiest way to find somewhere to eat, play or stay in Jamaica.

Quote Originally Posted by Moni-Q View Post
    I agree with everything you just said. Also, companies that keep emphasizing that salary info is not to be shared with anyone else are usually ones where you'll see great disparity in salaries even across groups of people that perform similar job functions and have the same qualifications.

If its an entry level position, you might not have much grounds on which to negotiate but for anything higher, negotiation is key. Be very wary of answering the "what are your salary expectations" question too unless you have a good idea of what the role pays.

aksultra - Since you got the info you were looking for and we're talking about freely sharing this type of info, why don't you share with us the figures you heard?
    Seconded. Let's see what the ranges are like.

Quote Originally Posted by Moni-Q View Post

I want to hear this too. Maybe I can jump ship if there's an opening there. Also it's not just the role - but what persons in your field with your certifications or less happen to be earning (locally and overseas).
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

u see companies like digi like they have a wide salary scale... as the budget is really wide...... some of the positions dont even have a budget...... it si based on what you want and what you negotiate on..... plus how much ur coming from in the previous position from what i hear no one discuss bout salary- like a some top secret ish.... the reason for dat is simple if person A know how much money person B is making worse if person B just come and is less qualified and doing less work there can be chaos....

for instance person A is at company A for 5 years........ they are earning 10000.
    person B is at a company B for 3 years....... he is earning 7000.
    if person B goes to company A, he can earn up to 13000 or even 15000 depending on his negotiation strength and power

so companies like digi are not afraid to splah it out when necessary..... suh u an someone can have same experience, same qualification, same position and person B a earn more dan u........ based on where person B is coming from......

worse if ur really skilled and wanted by many employers.......... u can have the employer at ur throat begging for mercy ....
    so wat i realise the best thing is wen u in a position an u want a raise is to look a next work...... get the offer and show it to ur boss to say this is wat company X is offering me.....u frighten fi see how u boss fix up u salary package..... my question is this why they have to wait until u ready fi pack up an leave dem a try fix it up........
    Dip,Bsc,CCNA,CCSP,MCP.. Up next MCSA WINDOWS 8, CCNA SECURITY,CCNP SWITCH,
    CCNA SEEKING AN OPPORTUNITY
    Theres no Friend Like Google..........

this is a pretty odd thread....

what i always do is go based on the MIS/IT payscale + how big the company is when im negotiating.. if its a small company, i keep it practically 0 Rated but the bigger the company and the more the responsiblity - the more i climb the scale, - because im a systems admin i would never EVER seek a job that is below MIS/IT4, i might even try and get away with asking for an MIS/IT 5 or 6 Payscale - i make sure to always up it.. afterall, why leave ur job if the other one isnt going to pay more?
    Vylle"Instability shows far more ignorance than indifference"
    PC: INTEL I7 6700K | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4
    Phones: OPO 534-9428 (LIME) or 5925530(DIGI)
    Facebook || Twitter

Ok....Gonna provide the research after talking to actual persons employed to these companies...

Goverment salaries can be seen here such as MIS/IT# etc
    http://www.mof.gov.jm/sites/default/...laryScales.pdf

Fiscal Services
    Entry level sys admin 1.4 plus traveling(varies)
    Entry Level programmer/developer 1.45 plus travelling

Digi Group - different from digi jamaica
    Entry Level programmer/developer/engineer 2mil

as soon as I get anymore i will post. Now these vary as one person said according to experience and other factors but this is the general area so if ur getting more/less dont worry all it means is that u are either more special or less experienced...thats all...
    thanks for the feedback.... the above information will be updated as soon as I get any more information