Thread: Changing Major from Bachelor to Master

Default Changing Major from Bachelor to Master

I'm currently at a college where I'm doing a double major in Philosophy and Cross-Cultural Studies. Main reason I'm studying these is because the college has nothing in my preferred area, but I got a FULL scholarship and some other benefits. I'm thinking of switching to doing a masters in Computer Science (or something in that area) after i get these first degrees. I'm already doing some courses from the BSc major in CS from OCW MIT in my free time, so I advance my knowledge in the area. What are my options for switching when the time comes? Do I still have to do yet another bachelors in CS before I can do the masters? Or can I do the masters directly?
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

Mi bredda, this sounds sticky. I don't know...first thought is that those humanities degrees won't have any relevance when applying for a masters in CS. I could be wrong, maybe if you picked up a first/upper second class honours that would be more important plus combined with the courses from the OCW MIT they might consider you.

BTW, what tha heck is Cross-Cultural Studies and what kind of jobs would you hope to get with that?
    My Speakers Can't Live If The SubWoofer Doesn't Breathe -Gary Lawrence
    http://www.youtube.com/GaryLawrence0
    http://www.reverbnation.com/garylawrence
    http://www.online.com.jm

im thinking you WOULD need the undergrad degree in CS before you can advance to do the bachelors THEN the masters.. makes more sense that way to me.
    ► with me... now ■ and think...

It all depends on the institution where you plan to do your masters. Some places may require that you either have a degree in a computer science related field, or some background (whether formally or informally) in computing. considering how flexible institutions are becoming, some may accept you if you work in the field of computing even though you have a BSc in a humanities based area. I would suggest you do some research into MSc programmes at different institutions to get an idea of what the criteria is for acceptance. I have a friend who did a BSc. in linguistics (humanities) and did a MSc. in HRM, so again, just boils down to where you apply to.
    Black by popular demand
    Ω
    Asus G73JH 17.3" - Core i7 740QM|6GB DDR3 1333| ATI Mobility Radeon 5870 1GB| 640GB HDD

Alright, in Philosophy, get at philosophy of mind and logic. Especially logic, so that you can show that you can handle the math related to lambda calculus and ToC. Make sure that you're nice with recursion theory as well. If you can an option in a course like the Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs - greeaaat!!!! I specifically say SICP or similar, because you'll need knowledge in a functional programming language like LISP or Scheme (as opposed to a procedural one like C or Java, you can pick up on them later.)

See, as a philosophy major, your best bet is Artificial Intelligence, so you'll be reading your Turing, your Heidegger (shivers) your Dreyfus (deep exhale after Heidegger, his Berkeley webcasts are legendary for being life-changing) John Searle, and Wittgenstein.

Get at the GRE as well. I'd also recommend you familiarize your self with the source code for chatterbots like Weizenbaum's ELIZA program.

Good Luck!!!
    Phone: Nokia 1200 with Satantendo ROM v.3.3
    Laptop: (Pentium III 850 MHz, 512 MB, 60 GB)
    Console: Sega Dreamcast
    Check out my blog: http://satanforce.wordpress.com/

You are more than likely going to need a BSC in Computer Science before you can pursue the Masters... as the BSC would fufill the pre-reqs that are needed for the Masters.

You are more than likely going to need a BSC in Computer Science before you can pursue the Masters... as the BSC would fufill the pre-reqs that are needed for the Masters.
    Not necessarily. Institutions such as CUNY, SUNY Stony Brook and the University of California system do not require a first degree in CS to do the second. It depends on how flxible the institution is.
    Phone: Nokia 1200 with Satantendo ROM v.3.3
    Laptop: (Pentium III 850 MHz, 512 MB, 60 GB)
    Console: Sega Dreamcast
    Check out my blog: http://satanforce.wordpress.com/

pcchick Guest

In some colleges once you have a BA you are safe to move on to your Masters in an unrelated field. However, you may be required to host some prerequisites. So if I were you, I would check out the University you want to attend and review the program. Speak to an Enrollment officer and see if you do/do not need to have pre reqs. You can check them out online and request to be called.

All the best and make use of that FULL scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by Satanforce View Post
    Not necessarily. Institutions such as CUNY, SUNY Stony Brook and the University of California system do not require a first degree in CS to do the second. It depends on how flxible the institution is.
    Nonetheless you would have to still do the pre-reqs for at least some of the courses... especially when you start going up into the higher level courses. As most registrations systems don't allow you to register for some classes unless you have the pre-req or doing it alongside or you get registered by your advisor who can over ride the block.
    Last edited by King_Jay16; May 29, 2012 at 03:07 PM.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic View Post
    Mi bredda, this sounds sticky. I don't know...first thought is that those humanities degrees won't have any relevance when applying for a masters in CS. I could be wrong, maybe if you picked up a first/upper second class honours that would be more important plus combined with the courses from the OCW MIT they might consider you.

BTW, what tha heck is Cross-Cultural Studies and what kind of jobs would you hope to get with that?
    CCS is basically a major having courses like Anthropology, Humanity Survey, World Art/Music, etc. It basically prepares you to go into other cultures and understand them better, etc. Sort of like making you into an expert tourist or something.
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions