Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do PHP developers get paid? Can php be a day job?

Quote Originally Posted by SQLDBA
    "As usual SQLDBA's thinking is one sided." I state facts and i am always open to correction,what in my posy was one sided was it "PHP is better than ASP (If your logic is not DLL based)" ? anyway dont take the linux debate in here because i hold to my opnion based on facts,i use Java,i ussed php4 because i liked C but when i need to get a job done quick i use MS solutions.

Leoandru:from your compiler analysis or FPL course a Cs student will know that a a web platform that is natively compiled and that has built-in page and fragment caching is faster than a scripted, non-cached platform. Of course, you can compile php but who does ?. And you have to pay for the page caching solution so you are right to loce C# and anyway you know is a java rippoff somewaht but it did improve on it.

@2nr:i ma biased yes towards asp.net because i tutor university students and a lot of time after i the benefits of OOP and structured exception handling to students they code in php and come up with unamageable and ununderstandable object-oriented spaghetti code because like normal C++ OOP can be mixed and matched as one desires and thats C# is mature because it has mature features and librarys(not age my friend).
    While I cant comment on whethre or not your perspective is limited. I can say that your reasons for choosing one solution over another is tainted. You work with MS solutions becasue it is what you know and are comfortable with. If you were a linux/OS developer you would use a open source solution because you know how to set it up and get off and running with very little trouble.

As for your students bringing back spaghetti code... Thats jsuta reflection of there tutilage--not necessarily yours--. Most students just learn a languages syntax and native calls and use the same methods that they used i nthe first language they started with. Instead of learning the methodology the new language is based on. if your students are supposed to write a oop based solution in php then the guidlines should READ NO SPAGHETTI CODE OR ELSE... the beauty of a new programming language is not just an entirely new syntax to learn but an entirely new way of doing something.... If you simply choose not to learn the way the author of the language envisioned you should be using the language. Then learning it is useless, then it is more akin to who has a bigger brain syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by SQLDBA
    "PHP is a language that is not realy apart of any standard framework such as .NET,it is not used to build web services,how does PHP interact with com objects ?.
    actually I was reading the an article the other day about how make a web service using php, very possible because php has support for xml-rpc, infact building a php based webservice is on my to do list. And php can also interface with com, check the manual.
    Last edited by alexdevmaster; Apr 20, 2005 at 04:43 PM.

$50-80k for only having .net experience in the us is not typical. It's important to have a computer science degree in the states. Not everyone who makes money has one, but it opens more doors for you. Generaly someone with a degree makes significantly more then someone without iregardless of the language they are working with.

PHP is a wonderfull language for doing OO programming with. I can point out several OO tutorials if anyone would like to question it's abilities. Do demonstrate PHP's OO and flexability i did a demo for school where i had php code use gtk widgets and call native java code. Now that is powerfull.

It's important to have a computer science degree in the states
    Though that was a given.

Some people feel it's not that important.

Doors of opporunity can be opened without a degree, but with a degree there will be far more doors that can be opened.

that's exactly what i just stated.

digimon Guest

php is cool. but if it were not for the cost of .NET, then .NET would be 100% the choice.
    and yeah, PHP peeps get paid....u have to know it deep though

Screw .NET. Hail Opensource!!PHP was the no. one web scripting language for 2004, and after using ASP then switched to PHP, I was glad when I discovered how much more powerful it was. I will never host my website on a windows server (linux/apache ). I will never go back to ASP. I will never install IIS on my computer (more apache). PHP is the best (coldfusion is semi-good). Everything opensource is great (firefox, emule, etc.). Look at AntiTrust (yea the movie) I think its about "the company"!! Human knowledge belongs to the world!!
    He who hesitates, dies.

Quote Originally Posted by cipher
    Screw .NET. Hail Opensource!!PHP was the no. one web scripting language for 2004, and after using ASP then switched to PHP, I was glad when I discovered how much more powerful it was. I will never host my website on a windows server (linux/apache ). I will never go back to ASP. I will never install IIS on my computer (more apache). PHP is the best (coldfusion is semi-good). Everything opensource is great (firefox, emule, etc.). Look at AntiTrust (yea the movie) I think its about "the company"!! Human knowledge belongs to the world!!
    LOL, wey yu sey fiya fi .net LOL.. Anyways that movie AntiTrust was it the one where the guy killing off the programmers to get the code? If is that one the CEO of the company look just like Bill Gates. Yeah man I beleive it was about "the company"

That was what was depicted in the movie but it got me thinking though, I wonder if this company would go as far as to kill programmers for their code. I won't doubt it, but PHP programmers can be paid for code (I actually do freelance work) but I've moved away from the application development scene. I'm more into backend stuff.
    He who hesitates, dies.