Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do PHP developers get paid? Can php be a day job?

Default Do PHP developers get paid? Can php be a day job?

I wonder if php developers get paid like ASP developers. I know alot of you are going to say it matters not how much money you make but that you enjoy what your doing. But hey even php developers got to eat. I ask because as far as I can see php development is more a personal thing and from time to time a contractual thing.

I am trying to look for a php development job in the US, and I am not finding much. I see more for .NET or JSP web developers. It seems that php developers make dough purely from contractual work. Is that enough to sustain?

It also seems to me that most php developers are php developers at night, meaning its not their day job.

Unhappy

Alex brother man yes they get paid they make us ASP guys look real bad for example I went on a Web Devloper interview about six months back the main question was do you know PHP my answer
    was no but I know ASP, Flash, Html, CSS and some Java scripting
    then they say but you dont know PHP then the conversation ended Thanks Mr. Byfield it was nice meeting you

no I trying real hard to grasp php at first I hated it but I start to love it oh yeah PHP Admin Kicks ***** its tha shiznick

How yeah most if not all web designing firm uses open source software or O.S like linux base web server and APACHE with a MYSQL Database in the background. PHP can run on both windows and linux base server, PHP is a requirment @ the end of the day the best part its free

I wish I had the knowledge I have in php back then maybe I would have gotten that Job
    Good Luck man

"I see more for .NET or JSP web developers" Not surprising because in the US websites are more functional than in Jamaica plus cost is not an issue, PHP is a language that is not realy apart of any standard framework such as .NET,it is not used to build web services,how does PHP interact with com objects ?.

In Ja PHP is popular because the LAMP (Linux,Apcahe,MYSQL,PHP) stand is cheap.PHP is better than ASP (If your logic is not DLL based) but not ASP.NET because C# is a better language(C# is a mature OO language) than PHP and it is more powerful(build Components) and it has aver large library and promotes clean coding.

As usual SQLDBA's thinking is one sided. PHP is fairly popular around the world, it is mostly
    used by small operations. If one wants to get paid, more than likely one has to work for a
    company that uses some MS alternative or java, or one can start his own business doing php work
    for himself and hope he gets work.

I agree with SQLDBA:

ASP.NET because C# is a better language(C# is a mature OO language) than PHP and it is more powerful(build Components) and it has aver large library and promotes clean coding.
    Currently in the USA .Net and Java is the *****.. If you aint talking webservices your not saying anything. Recently a friend from Florida called asking me if i could give him some good tutorials on .Net. When i asked y he exclaimed that .Net programmers with experience make in the range of 55,000 - 70,000 USD a year and he wants to get in on it.

In Jamaica however its a bit of a different story. But in the next year or so i expect .Net to be the ***** here too. I see many companies asking for .Net programmers. The thing to remeber also is that .Net is not a windows only technology. If you know C# you can develop webservices, asp.net apps and regulag apps for other platforms easily.

Anyways the TIOBE Index says PHP is the 5th most popular language.

woo! the TIOBE Index says my favorite language C is #1!!

Anyway since when did C# become a mature language?

"As usual SQLDBA's thinking is one sided." I state facts and i am always open to correction,what in my posy was one sided was it "PHP is better than ASP (If your logic is not DLL based)" ? anyway dont take the linux debate in here because i hold to my opnion based on facts,i use Java,i ussed php4 because i liked C but when i need to get a job done quick i use MS solutions.

Leoandru:from your compiler analysis or FPL course a Cs student will know that a a web platform that is natively compiled and that has built-in page and fragment caching is faster than a scripted, non-cached platform. Of course, you can compile php but who does ?. And you have to pay for the page caching solution so you are right to loce C# and anyway you know is a java rippoff somewaht but it did improve on it.

@2nr:i ma biased yes towards asp.net because i tutor university students and a lot of time after i the benefits of OOP and structured exception handling to students they code in php and come up with unamageable and ununderstandable object-oriented spaghetti code because like normal C++ OOP can be mixed and matched as one desires and thats C# is mature because it has mature features and librarys(not age my friend).
    Last edited by SQLDBA; Apr 20, 2005 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pogi_2nr
    woo! the TIOBE Index says my favorite language C is #1!!

Anyway since when did C# become a mature language?
    C# has been around five years now.. I was standerdize by ECMA and is growing in popularity. There is the Mono project and Portable.Net thats actively porting C# and .Net to other platforms so much so that its possible to develop complete apps for Linux, Mac, etc.. Popular windowing toolkits like QT and GTK are already wrapped into C# libraries QT# and GTK# respectively. I think C# is slowly becoming my new favourite languge.. sorry java iv found a new baby.
    Last edited by leoandru; Apr 20, 2005 at 09:59 AM.

Yes, PHP developers do get paid and yes, it can be your day job.
    -I didn't spel chek.
    The stuff I do

can't believe python is down at number 10
    Zope, Linux, Web, Intranet
    www.plone.org