Thread: New app allows sharing of mobile Internet access

Default New app allows sharing of mobile Internet access

wasnt sure where to post this...........

Traveling and looking for Internet access? A new smartphone app allows users to share mobile Web access for free with other people nearby who have the same app.

Called Open Garden, the app forms a mesh network that enables each person connected to it to relay it to other users.

"Every smartphone is a computer and a router, so we thought it was the right time to interconnect all of these devices together to make general access more ubiquitous," said Micha Benoliel, co-founder and CEO of the San Francisco-based company Open Garden.

"As long as the devices are in proximity they recognize themselves seamlessly. If one device in the mesh has access to the Internet, then the other device can benefit from it," Benoliel added.

If a smartphone user with Open Garden is in a cafe or hotel and does not have access to Wi-Fi, but someone else does, the user can piggyback on the other person's connection.
    http://news.yahoo.com/app-allows-sha...090531258.html
    Back to square one....., back off the ground now........

Interesting. I was thinking this sounds like a regular hot spot app, but it seems to be more like hot spot on steroids. Would crApple endorse something like this on their iCr... umm... devices?

EDIT:

Benoliel said the app can also be used to interconnect different devices, such as an iPhone and tablets, for free using the plan.
    Site

Huh??? How did they put "free" and "plan" in the same sentence there? No idea what that's saying.

I believe it is too early to recommend Open Garden because of its device support limitations, which include failure to support the Apple iPad (the most popular tablet on the market) and one of the most popular cellphones, the Apple iPhone. Part of its failure to support these products is most likely due to Apple’s tendency to keep a close rein on the applications it approves for its devices. I believe that this, in itself, curtails the usability of Open Garden. However, If Open Garden does become available on the iTunes Store for Apple iPad and Apple iPhone users, I would recommend giving it a try. If for some reason, however, that doesn’t occur and Open Garden is not offered by Apple, I believe the application will have little value and would not recommend the app.
    Open Garden Surrounds Devices with Internet Access

Apart from what seems to be a huge misconception by this guy about the iPad being the most popular tablet, I guess we can see here that there is no support for the next networking revolution by crApple. And despite what he says about the app having little value without the aforementioned company's support, I think there's going to be wide-scale adoption. On the other hand, there's a small issue which really could reduce this apps usability:

The company is working on features to help users limit who shares their Internet and data connections and how much data they want to allocate to the app.

BULL****!!!

But, of course, there are others who will take this to the next level so the idea eventually realizes it's full potential...
    Last edited by Skele Drew; Jun 11, 2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: after reading the article and more research
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

Apps like these have been out since last year
    IT'S YOUR GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO REMAIN STUPID
    You take the blue pill – the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill – you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember, all I'm offering is the truth – nothing more.