Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News article - "Workers wanted!"

Default News article - "Workers wanted!"

I read the Jamaica Gleaner news article titled "Workers wanted!" which has a list of job areas that are in need of workers and aren't being filled despite the high unemployment rate. Scanning through the list I was encouraged when I saw a category named "Information & Communication Technology" ... until I read the specific job area - Mail and small-parcel distribution . If this is what the Government through STATIN considers the ICT sector to be then we're in more trouble that we know
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

So now techies have been reduced to delivery boys huh? What's the countries coming to? It's stuff like this that makes me not want to come home...
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

Information & Communication Technology - physical mail delivery is still considered as technology? Shame on the Govt. No wonder we're so far behind almost everyone else in tech. Didn't I read somewhere recently that even Haiti beat us in some area of technology? They need to change their stance, is not only sports and crime we good at.
    ShadowWolfe, signing off *salute*
    /user has permanently disconnected from the Animus.

Its no wonder our Educated leave this country in droves. I guess parcel distribution is a form of communication so it falls under ICT

It will be another 10 years before they realise how behind we are and that point we will be 15 years behind. Sigh

Hopefully by then tourists are still visiting our beautiful isle. Irie Mon!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWolfe Hellscream View Post
    Information & Communication Technology - physical mail delivery is still considered as technology? Shame on the Govt. No wonder we're so far behind almost everyone else in tech. Didn't I read somewhere recently that even Haiti beat us in some area of technology? They need to change their stance, is not only sports and crime we good at.
    correctomundo....

Ja is so far behind in everything it's not funny.... everything backwards... hence y life is so much harder there... what in Ja is not outdated? lol as far as i know it Jamaica is one of the few countries that don't have decent mobile Internet access etc....

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    Its no wonder our Educated leave this country in droves. I guess parcel distribution is a form of communication so it falls under ICT

It will be another 10 years before they realise how behind we are and that point we will be 15 years behind. Sigh

Hopefully by then tourists are still visiting our beautiful isle. Irie Mon!
    That won't last forever, y? Everything is becoming dependent on ever changing technology, Jamaica doesn't do a good job keeping up... soon it will become a pain in the butt for tourist to come here and enjoy themselves as the functionalities that would have become a common day necessity in other countries Jamaica wouldn't have adopted as yet.
    Last edited by King_Jay16; Jun 4, 2012 at 03:58 PM.

Nah lie me want a link on one of those jobs
    Cert. Computer Hardware Technician, Windows XP. Certification: A+, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, CCNA, CCNA security next
    Reading:Linux System Administration 3rd
    PM me or Call 393-2119. Actively seeking a JOB.

Quote Originally Posted by kemar1014 View Post
    Nah lie me want a link on one of those jobs
    I'm hoping this is humour for as a member of TJ, I hope we'd all like to aspire to something a bit higher than being a mailman. That is, imo, only considered technology when compared to the stone age.
    If this is what Jamaica is offereing interms of "work" for techies, they can keep it. Unless of course, you're really that desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWolfe Hellscream View Post
    In what area of technology Haiti is ahead of us? It would be nice if you could point me to the article.
    Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H .Crucial Ballistix Sports 8Gig ddr3. Llano A8 3870k Quad Core APU. 22" Acer 1680x1050 LCD monitor + 32'' 1080p LCD HDTV. Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Vapor X video card. Mobile: Galaxy Note 4.

Telecommunications. I had read a comment somewhere that even Haiti, the poorest country in the nothern hemisphere I might add, is basically fully covered by 3G and Jamaica still has networks providing edge.
    Can't find the exact article, but this was one of the comments.

The fact that the word "TECHNOLOGY" is even used there is insulting.....

It should have read "Information and Communication Transportation"