Thread: 10 reasons IT pros get a bad rap

Default 10 reasons IT pros get a bad rap

It’s no secret that IT pros aren’t too popular with some clients and end users. Alan Norton considers some of the underlying reasons for the bad press.

Why are IT professionals perceived so poorly by some? I am not going to try to prove or disprove the merits of the reasons listed below. Suffice it to say, the bad rap IT gets is justified if the client believes it to be true.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

I'd add that locally we get a bad rap because of the "hurry come up" IT persons. For those in larger companies it's not so bad - but for those in smaller companies that still do PCs for the average Joe that's where it is seen. Some IT person that the client went to did something and screwed it up but didn't charge a lot because they're not certified/skilled. When you then go and charge based on the time spent and what you did then they cry that it's too much. And additional work which you did (backups etc to ensure they don't lose their data) you didn't even charge for.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

WELL...... a links cause it as a link ,make them get work
    Cert. Computer Hardware Technician, Windows XP. Certification: A+, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, CCNA, CCNA security next
    Reading:Linux System Administration 3rd
    PM me or Call 393-2119. Actively seeking a JOB.

yh, basically what he said above ^.. nowadays nearly anyone with the proper connections and a couple subjects can get a job as an it person. The job has gone to the dogs.. even when u go into any well known tech store/shop etc.. nobody has any qualifications or certification.. tsk. what a world we are living in.
    ► with me... now ■ and think...

Just as gunpowder was to "Savages" in Chris Columbus day, (magic) so it is with I.T. today, magic. We often make things look so simple and easy that persons believe that this is how our jobs are 24/7. We solve problems with the snap of a finger....

My former VP of IT at SuperClubs, Dexter Chou says, "You can choose to be the plumbing or you can choose to be the electricity". He wanted us to be the electricity, we "just work" at the flip of a switch, he often that switches wear out and sometimes short circuit....
    Last edited by KevinP; Jun 12, 2012 at 06:01 PM.