Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointment with FLOW's speed

If you're not getting what you should then most likely you have congestion in your area - maybe a load of people torrenting - or some issue otherwise on your line. You should call if you not getting what you should and speak with Tech Support and not just the customer service people. Get a ticket number for your issue and press it. If you not getting your speeds you should also get a rebate after the issue is resolved.

Supposed to be a 20Mb connection so 15+ not bad - and it's shared with my phones and mine and my wife machine and laptops.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

from today i been experiencing some Ultra High ping-times and some mega low upload and download speeds...multiple resets and restarts of all network devices and the same thing ahh boi

unnu doe laugh:

Quote Originally Posted by Flexx17 View Post
    from today i been experiencing some Ultra High ping-times and some mega low upload and download speeds...multiple resets and restarts of all network devices and the same thing ahh boi

unnu doe laugh:
    Which area are you? Those ping times look suspicious.

post a traceroute to google.com or something when its dat high again.

tracert www.google.com from the commandline

^^ Zeen will do....im in the mona heights area..is first in a loooooooooooooooong while its been like this and the irony how i was telling u guys i normally have good speeds n ting

Quote Originally Posted by Flexx17 View Post
    ^^ Zeen will do....im in the mona heights area..is first in a loooooooooooooooong while its been like this and the irony how i was telling u guys i normally have good speeds n ting
    Mona Heights sounds like close to UWI. If you're close to any school then expect that - I've seen it - the students torrent like crazy and suck the bandwidth. If I'm not mistaken the bandwidth on the fiber is good but the hybrid system in place uses copper to the home and fiber to the node (FTTN) so you may have bottlenecks getting to the node.

When doing your traces I'd recommend PingPlotter (portable version here) primarily and WinMTR secondarily. This will give you a very good idea of where your bottleneck is and where you're having dropped or slowed packets. I usually leave it running continuously with like 10,000 traces being done.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Yh man its near UWI short walking distance... but all ma techie frenz over there seh dem firewall tighter than a Max Security prison lol. no torrenting cyaa gwaan ova deh...

Boss you are misunderstanding what he is saying. If he lives closes to UWI, then so will all the students that go to UWI which may not necessarily live on Campus. In other words, he is in a high traffic area and with cable the internet is shared with all users between each fibre node. High traffic = contention = slow speeds, high ping times, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    Boss you are misunderstanding what he is saying. If he lives closes to UWI, then so will all the students that go to UWI which may not necessarily live on Campus. In other words, he is in a high traffic area and with cable the internet is shared with all users between each fibre node. High traffic = contention = slow speeds, high ping times, etc.
    oh yeah i get it now... the thing is my connection only gets this slow on very rare occasions....even if the DL and UL speeds plummet the Ping Times are not normally this high....

First problem I see with that report is that your upload speeds are very poor for 1.Mb/s connection. Are you seeding anything while running the test? You may need to contact Flow regarding that result if its consistently that way.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    First problem I see with that report is that your upload speeds are very poor for 1.Mb/s connection. Are you seeding anything while running the test? You may need to contact Flow regarding that result if its consistently that way.
    Wouldn't surprise me if a torrent app is running orphaned in the background doing seeding, hence the high ping and low u/l. In other words you told it to shut down and the icon disappears but its still there.