Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Vs CISCO networks

Default Microsoft Vs CISCO networks

Whats the difference between CISCO networks and Microsoft Networks?

Default Re:Microsoft Vs CISCO networks

I'm not a networking expert, but that question is like asking the difference between chalk and cheese.

As I understand it, and I may be corrected, CISCO is predominantly a networking hardware developer while Microsoft has networking software products in its cadre of products.

you're probably talking about reliability. As far as I know, both of them use TCP/IP.

There are so many differences.
    MS networks vs. CISCO networks could be related to hardware, network design, protocols used, security, etc. etc.

Cisco networks typically use switches, routers, breaking up broadcast or collision domains respectively, and VLANs for creating more efficient subnetted networks. The protocols used in a CISCO network all depends on the services you'd like for your network. Then in the OSI archtecture the CISCO network only applies to a few of the layers (Four - Physical, Data Link, Networking, and Transport).

The main association of a CISCO network would be for the creation, mangement, security & administration of routed & switched networks using CISCO routers.

Microsoft networks use a host of services and protocols. It also transcends the entire OSI structure. While a MS network can do software routing. MS networks are commonly associated with LANs, and often require 3rd party solutions for security.

I see Ebony......

Indeed chalk and Cheese.

Are you then saying that CISCO networks don't necessarily require third party solutions?

Microsoft networks normally refers to the operating systems that are loaded on the computers. You can have a Microsoft network, a Linux network, a Novell network, a Mac network or a combination of these.

It is the operating systems (desktop and server) that allows machines to communicate with each other. Many networks are physically located in a single building so we call them a local area network or LAN.

Cisco networking gear is hardware and related software which allows us to create wide area networks. Cisco switches and routers allow us to link up several local area networks.

If I have a company with branches in Kingston, Montego Bay and Mandeville, I can have a local area network in each building. These networks could be running Windows 2000 or Linux or whatever. The point is that they are self contained entities. The network in Montego Bay can't communicate with the network in Mandeville.

If I want these individual networks to communicate with each other, I can put a Cisco router in each branch. When someone on the Montego Bay network wants to access a resource on the Mandeville network, the network packets will travel from the Montego Bay network, through the Cisco router in Montego Bay, over the communication lines (telephone or frame relay or VPN, etc.) to the router in Mandeville, to the network in Mandeville.

The overall larger network is called a wide area network or WAN.

Cisco routers don't care if you are running a Microsoft network, a Linux network, a Novell network or an Apple Talk network. It just allows you to join networks (groups of computers) together to form larger networks.

BTW... Nice to hear from you ~ eBôÑ¥_¢HiÑee ~ .

yea....my bro-in-law is a cisco engineer. its all about wan and lan routers and switches. he's worked for intel and other large buds. at one point he was at the main point where the internet comes into the UK and they have like these large screens up on the wall like you see in films. now he manages trunks of data worldwide and one mistake can cause millions of pounds...sorry, not fo me that stuff....
    its all about configuring the switches and routers at top and low levels.
    he claims its hard but the more you learn, the easier it gets. he's also msce as well as cne, which are the 2 very good qualifications in the field.

cisco engineers on the whole get paid more. like more than double.
    the training is more expensive though. where MS can be self taught, you can generally forget that with cisco as you do need the hardware to learn.

at one point he was at the main point in where the internet comes into the UK and they have like large screens up on the wall like you see i those films
    Awesome stuff.

yeah....they used to watch downloaded movies in real time.
    in fact, they would finish downloading before the film was even 1/4 of the way. talk about fast eh. some major trunks that....

Novell Networks is like Citrix right???