Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Valve's Steam & Games Coming To Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Satanforce View Post
    I am now using a FreeBSD that I have made some modifications to. Before that was Puppy Linux.
    I am out of the loop with the *BSD for now. Last time I attemped Live USB Beastie was Freesbie. You may have it easier going with a distro focused on running from USB.

I have never seen anything like that in any books that I have read. Could you bring up some other sources? I would find that rather odd seeing that both hybrid/micro and exokernel isolate suspicious processes and files from what is known as the main server (ring 0, IPC, scheduler) and can restore failed programs without the users intervention through the use of a reincarnation server (BSODs drastically reduced).
    The info was deleted. The info was the results from #opNov5 ("Remember, remember the 5th of November"). Cracktivists posted the results of their ops and observations on what was done wrong. What was in that document were very damaging. I did not save that file.
    But, back to the main topic, or what I think is implied by the main topic -can gaming Open Source gaming be a viable option for developers? The answer, I think, is an emphatic NO. For a platform to be successful, it needs to have an exclusive. The PS2 shot ahead of the pack with MGS2, GTA3 and Devil May Cry. Its predecessor had MGS, FF7 and a whole bunch of Maddens. Even though the PS2 was regarded as a pain to develop for (initially Sony had to fly out engineers to help third party devs), it was still the most successful console ever til the Nintendo Wii came out. That was because third parties had a guaranteed Return On Investment, so that if they sent two years developing a game engine with 250,000 lines of code, a game with another 250,000 lines of code with 10 programmers, 20 artists and a 10 million dollar budget, they can make back enough money to feed their families and pay their bills. How are they going to do that on a platform whose users are ideologically opposed to peopkle owning the rights to their own source code? Not unless they develop on a much more popular platform first.

As you said above, you get what you pay for. Until then, the phrase 'Open Source Game Industry' will continue to be an oxymoron.
    The common misconception is that GPL'd and other open licensed code are unsalable. It is the code that has to be freely available, not the cost. You decide if you want to buy it or not, but the source code has to travel with it (in the case of GPL). Whomever has that code is free to give it to someone else. Not the game, the code. Sharing binaries without permission of the author is illegal, sharing source is covered. Besides, you haven't seen the whole interwebs as yet. Look up MODDB, Desura/Desurium and similar.

If the "Commercial Gaming Industry" has their way, you would change your mind about what is *moron-ic. That industry would not be much different from the movie industry: endless regurgitation and hyped suctivity.
    Last edited by carey; Nov 19, 2012 at 09:19 AM.

The words of a PC user is that Linux is too complicated and for programmers. Though Ubuntu leaves a lot of the functions on the back-end (more so with the new versions) it does make a lot of the usage easier than older versions. The same could probably be said about OpenSUSE which has a very nice GUI as well.

As far as some proprietary selling point is concerned I don't know which company is going to invest in the free/open community like that. Prior to Valve/STEAM coming to Linux I was seriously considering buying Cedega because it would allow me to game on Linux - even though it's really just a tweaked WINE. The only thing I see as a possibility is further development on certain projects such as InkScape or Blender to make them the most epic things for photo/video and stop development on the Windows versions while leaving the source available for those who want to continue. This means that the Windows devs will probably just make a fork of the original and continue that while the Linux devs would continue to work on the original. This would then lead to a split...........

Meh - the only thing then is if some smart persons - maybe you guys who do programming - make some awesome video editing app or some really epic game series specifically for Linux. Other than that I don't see any other way.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

It is the code that has to be freely available, not the cost. You decide if you want to buy it or not, but the source code has to travel with it (in the case of GPL). Whomever has that code is free to give it to someone else. Not the game, the code.
    Me and team spend 10 million US and two years making game. Put game/source code up on App Store, after massive marketing campaign, interviews, the works.

Pimply faced white nerd buys game for 30USD on App Store. Tweaks source code slightly, then re-releases game on App Store for 5USD.

What d you think is going to happen ?

hat industry would not be much different from the movie industry: endless regurgitation and hyped suctivity.
    We are already at that stage. I do't see how FLOSS is going to fix that.
    Phone: Nokia 1200 with Satantendo ROM v.3.3
    Laptop: (Pentium III 850 MHz, 512 MB, 60 GB)
    Console: Sega Dreamcast
    Check out my blog: http://satanforce.wordpress.com/

Could always try your hand at the app or the game. The apps would work nicely to get many people to migrate to Linux for the sake of free/open video editing with a more friendly interface. As for the games - make something as addictive and fun as Portal/Portal 2 and that should settle it. Or start it at least.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

The goal of good programming languages is not being the best on 1 platform: it's being able to run on all platforms the same way.

It is not about drawing users to linux from windows. It is that through the years people got misguided and segregated mainly through the efforts of the 'Big 2'. People think they are making a choice when they are actually playing to THEIR tune and the 2 pockets.

It was possible to have code if even barely executable on all systems some time passed from what I read. Now, most people are trained to think you have to program based on a target system: Apple, Microsoft, Unix-like or Phone.

That's true - but if you look at the way the programming languages have evolved and the way that things are done - I recall old time C in DOS which is vastly different from what's in Windows now. Granted I don't do programming anymore so I couldn't tell you much about the more recent things - but the honest truth is that the persons making these things are more concerned about making cash - providing a good piece of software comes second.