Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Source for Jamaica

Default Open Source for Jamaica

I came across this post and wanted to know what you guys thought about it... I'm all in agreement.
    "God gives every bird its food, but He does not throw it into its nest"

yeah why not?...but for this to happen other bodies would have to also recognize this move. for e.g the Caribbean Examination Council(CXC) in some of the main subject areas provided by cxc it mandatory that candidates at least have the basic knowledge of microsoft office

after bill gates nuh have nutten on we, open source for the win but of course, people dont like change
    PC: Windows//Laptop: Linux//Tablet: Blackberry//Smartphone: Android//MP3: Apple

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    after bill gates nuh have nutten on we, open source for the win but of course, people dont like change
    Change is seldom a good thing. Don't forget: we get older and die because we change. What if the way we go about adopting open source is not a beneficial nor efficient way? I say let the workman choose his own tools; just make them all available.

Quote Originally Posted by carey View Post
    Change is seldom a good thing. Don't forget: we get older and die because we change. What if the way we go about adopting open source is not a beneficial nor efficient way? I say let the workman choose his own tools; just make them all available.
    In my opinion, change is an unavoidable necessity for it change and the adoption thereof that allows us to even sit at home and communicate via this forum. I agree that the workman should select his own tools, but in the matter of national interest and spending a more economically viable path should be taken. Right now, all the tools are not even on the table, for everything is geared towards educating us into a propitiatory (Microsoft) existence. I don't think it is wise to base the majority of your systems as a government on a closed source platform, almost every other government world-wide understands this. And with that knowledge they adapt and encourage students through their educational platforms to familiarize and help develop some of these open platforms.
    "God gives every bird its food, but He does not throw it into its nest"

I know of several companies that use open source software to carry out specific tasks. They use Windows primarily but have a Linux server running on the network.

These tasks include:

email
    company wide instant messaging
    firewalls
    office suites

it really depends on the availability of trained resources. If they have technicians who are trained in open source software, they will implement it.
    Last edited by jamrock; Apr 27, 2012 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    it really depends on the availability of trained resources. If they have technicians who are trained in open source software, they will implement it.
    Agree with you 100 %

But to get technicians who are trained in open source software, the framework has to be set so future techs know there are future jobs for them if they study OSS. Not many people will study something if they don't see definitely where they'll benefit from it in terms of job availability. The government has to make the first move at adopting OSS, creating the need for techs with the knowledge and skills. Then we'll see private companies follow eventually...
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

As a Jamaican and a 17+ year full time Linux user I agree completely that countries like Jamaica need to go FOSS.
    I would also like to see less branding in the classroom, don't make sure CXC has basics in Microsoft office, make sure they have basics in processing documents, spreadsheets and databases.
    We Jamaicans need to start being innovators of Technology and not just consumers of it or we will never truly reach developed status.

I want to build a hackerspace Jamaica, who's with me?

Quote Originally Posted by mistik1 View Post
    As a Jamaican and a 17+ year full time Linux user I agree completely that countries like Jamaica need to go FOSS.
    I would also like to see less branding in the classroom, don't make sure CXC has basics in Microsoft office, make sure they have basics in processing documents, spreadsheets and databases.
    We Jamaicans need to start being innovators of Technology and not just consumers of it or we will never truly reach developed status.

I want to build a hackerspace Jamaica, who's with me?
    You may not hear "I am". Follow Chris and build it. They will come.