Thread: Unreal game engine licensed to US government

Default Unreal game engine licensed to US government

The Unreal Engine powers numerous top-tier games like Mass Effect 3, Batman: Arkham City, and the Gears of War series. It appears that the newest Unreal Engine is going to be making an appearance in some unexpected places; specifically the US government. No, the folks in Washington haven’t been passing Xboxes around — get ready for Unreal-based simulations designed by the FBI, US Army, and other government agencies.

Epic Games develops the engine, which is one of the most popular cross-platform game technologies, and has partnered with Virtual Heroes to ink the government deal which is described as “long-term.” Epic will assist the FBI and others in using Unreal for content on the web, consoles, and mobile devices. No one is saying just how much Epic is being paid for the license just yet, but multiple millions seems likely.
    http://www.geek.com/articles/games/u...ment-20120329/
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

So why people don't want to run some UT with us? LOL. I'm sure that the people here who play FPS games would do well on a battlefield. Not necessarily in BF, but we would survive a zombie apocalypse
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Still can't figure why people go with Unreal. Is there something about its usability? Cause the games that come from it do not look like they are using a quality engine. I'd go so far as saying gaming would be better if that engine was not around. So many others do it better =/

1 comparison you could make is unreal and cryengine or even frostbite (doubt the gov could get that one though). Both allow better and more realistic graphics, ai, physics etc. There has to be something in terms of usability or pricing that is making people use unreal. Or it's just that they are used to the engine and learning/modifying something new would suck.

Probably is good enough for the government's usage plans.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

I don't know much about frostbite, but cryengine sucks outside of FPS games. Unreal is applicable with pretty much everything, as we've seen. TPS, action games, hell even fighting games (the new Mortal Kombat). Unreal script uses a state machine system too which is very easy to code for.
    No one expects the Inquisition.

@khat17
    Epic will assist the FBI and others in using Unreal for content on the web, consoles, and mobile devices.
    Ur works the same everywhere. IIRC, the engine works with the given graphical driver backend (OpenGL,D3D etc.). I don't think I have ever successfully run any other engine on an OS other than Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Makkah View Post
    I don't know much about frostbite, but cryengine sucks outside of FPS games.
    how do you know that?

Unreal is applicable with pretty much everything, as we've seen. TPS, action games, hell even fighting games (the new Mortal Kombat). Unreal script uses a state machine system too which is very easy to code for.
    I figured it was something like that.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

how do you know that?
    I was interested in trying it and asked people who've used it. It's not impossible to make other game types, but the workarounds you'll need are tedious apparently.
    No one expects the Inquisition.