Thread: $1.5 billion: The cost of cutting London-Toyko latency by 60ms

Default $1.5 billion: The cost of cutting London-Toyko latency by 60ms

Starting this summer, a convoy of ice breakers and specially-adapted polar ice-rated cable laying ships will begin to lay the first ever trans-Arctic Ocean submarine fiber optic cables. Two of these cables, called Artic Fibre and Arctic Link, will cross the Northwest Passage which runs through the Canadian Arctic Archipelago. A third cable, the Russian Optical Trans-Arctic Submarine Cable System (ROTACS), will skirt the north coast of Scandinavia and Russia. All three cables will connect the United Kingdom to Japan, with a smattering of branches that will provide high-speed internet access to a handful of Arctic Circle communities. The completed cables are estimated to cost between $600 million and $1.5 billion each.

Read more here

To me - this just mean i can probably finally play Call of Duty with my friends in Japan
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

On your COD point, I never had much issues playing with people in Japan. My issues actually came when playing with people in Europe *shrug*
    Laptop: HP DV6700t - Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia 8400m GS, 250GB HDD. Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

This cable will not improve the route from Jamaica to Japan.

isn't our route still though the Caribbean to America i remembered hearing something about panama ?
    computer cell phone sales services and repairs 24/7 technician
    ldougharty@yahoo.com add to msn or yahoo messenger
    twitter @hotheadzo
    4382112 digicel

Lets hope the cable doesnt run hot and break off a huge chunk of the north pole sea ice