The next Xbox won't have a disc drive, according to a new report.

That's what Microsoft has told its partners, MCV claimed.

Instead, the next Xbox will work with "some sort of interchangeable solid-state card storage". It is not known whether this will be proprietary or a more standard format, MCV said.
It is unclear whether this move - if true - means the next Xbox will not play physical media at all. Games may come on the card storage mentioned in the report.
A 2013 launch date "has been confirmed".

MCV's story conflicts with information reported by Kotaku, which claimed the next Xbox will play Blu-ray discs.
In November 2011 Digital Foundry reported that Microsoft plans to launch two very different versions of the next Xbox.

The first is described as a "pared down machine" to be released as cheaply as possible. It is likened to a set-top box, and will act as a Kinect-themed gaming portal.
The second is a "more fully-featured machine" with optical drive, hard disk and backwards compatibility. This would be aimed at hardcore gamers and released at a higher price-point.
MCV's report of a disc-free Xbox may relate to the former.

Microsoft said it does not comment on rumour or speculation.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...c-drive-report

Thoughts? I'll believe it when I see it. If they do this, its likely they will be stuck with less storage than Sony yet again. Hard to imagine they would. Cards cannot be nearly as cheap as discs, though they can go with higher storage, its hard to imagine they will keep prices down without having less space. I can't see sony ditching bluray at all. Improve the speed and storage, they have nothing to worry about.