Thread: Japan Will Have a Space Elevator by 2050

Post Japan Will Have a Space Elevator by 2050

Japan Will Have a Space Elevator by 2050
    It might the stuff of science fiction dreams, but a Japanese construction company has announced that it will have built a working space elevator by 2050. Where can I join the queue?
    Source
    "Every step we can take to secure ourselves from a government that no longer respects our privacy is a patriotic act." .. (whistleblower Edward Snowden)

That's awesome. I've always wondered about them when watching the 00-Gundam series.
    I'll probably never live to see see it, but awesome nonetheless.
    ShadowWolfe, signing off *salute*
    /user has permanently disconnected from the Animus.

i'll be in line with my walking stick and all
    PC: Windows//Laptop: Linux//Tablet: Blackberry//Smartphone: Android//MP3: Apple

I thought it was Arthur C Clarke who conceived the Space Elevator (as well as the Geosynchronous satellite orbit). Hats off to Mr. Artsutanov.

Dwl i think this should be in the tech humour section
    IT'S YOUR GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO REMAIN STUPID
    You take the blue pill – the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill – you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember, all I'm offering is the truth – nothing more.

jomo Guest

Hmmm did anyone else notice 200kmh and going 36,000km will take 180 hours that's 7 and a half days travel... 0OL

I doubt the people that are serious about going to space want to get there in a few hours. The long time it will take is part of the fun.
    Similar to taking a boat at sea for days to go on vacation when you could've taken a plane and reached in a few hours.

*Waits for Aeola Schenberg and GN drives now* crazy concept but ppl might consider going on it more out of amusement than anything functional at 1st.

Dude if Aeolia Schenberg showed up right now I'd sign my life over to CB right away just become an Innovator. Doesn't take 7.5 days to reach the terminal from Earth though.
    Rather they have rocket boosted planes for the trip from earth to the spaceport then shuttles from the spaceport to the terminal. But those are people who live on the various stations/conducting business and not on vacation or a sightseeing trip like we would be.
    Last edited by ShadowWolfe Hellscream; Mar 13, 2012 at 01:40 AM.

LOL i'll be more like an Ali Al Saachez type innovator. But on a serious note tho Japan is known for researching their technologies so i doubt they'd make something that takes forever to reach a certain distance. If anything is possible it could be a vertical implementation of their bullet train technology given that they're the world leaders in that type of rig up. SO yeah....definitely looking forward to seeing some orbital elevators too