Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How iPhone Apps Steal Your Contact Data and Why You Can’t Stop It

Default How iPhone Apps Steal Your Contact Data and Why You Can’t Stop It

The internet is starting to realize something unsettling: our iPhones send information about the people we know to private servers, often without our permission. Some offending apps are fixing themselves. Some aren't. But the underlying problem is much bigger.

Apple allows any app to access your address book at any time—it's built into the iPhone's core software. ...
    Read the rest here: http://gizmodo.com/5885321/how-iphon...it?tag=privacy

Upsetting
    Zee
    -----
    To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC

did you read the other article ? why-is-twitter-storing-users-address-books-for-18-months?
    twitter actually does this also on android devices , which means this is actually not new .. it just recently discovered.. and since no andriod user seems to notice which could possibly mean it affect both os on a whole .
    [Asus M3A79T Deluxe|Phenom II x4 940BE|Asus Triton 81|Corsair 750W|NZXT Sentry2|G.Skill 4GB (2x2) DDR2 1066 Dual Channel|Sapphire 4870 1GB GDDR5|WD Green 640GB,1TB,2TB|WD Black 320GB,640GB|Samsung P2450] Need Upgrade
    BB8220> 9700> 9800>Nokia N8(Drowned)>IPhone 4(retired)> Wtf is a Phone ?.

I did not post this as saying only twitter or any 1 device does it... But to this highlight, every app in ios uses an address book service within the os itself. Yes it is not new but my big question is why did big fruit provide such a easy way for devs collect me/your info on dev's servers without user input? Better user experience?
    Zee
    -----
    To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC

from your article :
    some of App Store's shiniest celebrities are among those that beam away your contact list in order to make hooking up with other friends who use the app smoother.
    But Meh , i honestly don't think of it as much of a big deal , since its only names and numbers on my contact list never address never full names.
    It Just like the cloud services for both apple and google both upload contact lists and etc , if the fed wanna hunt you down .. they know how to get the intel..
    [Asus M3A79T Deluxe|Phenom II x4 940BE|Asus Triton 81|Corsair 750W|NZXT Sentry2|G.Skill 4GB (2x2) DDR2 1066 Dual Channel|Sapphire 4870 1GB GDDR5|WD Green 640GB,1TB,2TB|WD Black 320GB,640GB|Samsung P2450] Need Upgrade

And then you wonder why the experienced iPhone Blackberry and other smartphone users never indulge in things like sharing location etc....not to mention carrier IQ. Only solution to not being tracked would be to just remove yourself from technology, credit cards and just about everything else.
    "Every step we can take to secure ourselves from a government that no longer respects our privacy is a patriotic act." .. (whistleblower Edward Snowden)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by lojikal View Post
    And then you wonder why the experienced iPhone Blackberry and other smartphone users never indulge in things like sharing location etc....not to mention carrier IQ. Only solution to not being tracked would be to just remove yourself from technology, credit cards and just about everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by FossilWolf View Post
    did you read the other article ? why-is-twitter-storing-users-address-books-for-18-months?
    twitter actually does this also on android devices , which means this is actually not new .. it just recently discovered.. and since no andriod user seems to notice which could possibly mean it affect both os on a whole .
    need some proof.

You apple zombies think apple good.
    Bring on the news Techdude

Quote Originally Posted by lojikal View Post
    I agree.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

@pezz you do realize that both articles were publish on the same site and statements from twitter themselves stating they will give the users the choice to upload Thier contacts list in the next update.
    Right now they seem to be doing background checks with the top social apps to see whose doing what .
    Apple has already stated that they will fix the issue within the next update.
    This is like carrier iq crap all over again .. It will go away and disappear ..

Another related article by Daily beast
    Last edited by FossilWolf; Feb 16, 2012 at 12:01 PM.

IDK about Apple, but at least for Android, you're told of ALL the resources an app will access before it's installed. So you make the decision if you trust that app with those perms. And you can view those permissions any time again. Not sure if Apple does this, but I'm leaning to the opinion that they don't based on the above post. Makes me rate Android even more...
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

jomo Guest

Lol, well with bb you can choose and edit the permissions each app has, like caller ID reader naturally I'd let that view my contacts, LOL

lol this is nothing new apple doing this long time, someone found out and release the info and apple say is true but who knows what else they have access to on your iphone. thats why when i get a cellphone i like to get the international version straight from the factory not the ones that come unlocked from us providers. Learnt that from an cellphone dealer overseas. phones like iphone,bb and nokia are dangerous cellphones. And just like how your hard drive reserves a part of the memory for it self so does your cellphone. so people can still read your text and see your contacts when you delete it from either your cellphone or sim card But why would you be worried about your cellphone when you are on facebook and google which is basically controlled by the government.
    IT'S YOUR GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO REMAIN STUPID
    You take the blue pill – the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill – you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember, all I'm offering is the truth – nothing more.