Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: iOS apps crash more often than Android apps, study shows

Default iOS apps crash more often than Android apps, study shows

In this episode of smartphone myth busters, we'll investigate the claim that Android apps are often released to the market unstable, whereas iOS apps are always bug-free and buttery smooth.
    According to a study by Crittercism, quoted by Forbes, both platforms have their share of apps that crash and, if anything, the iOS ones do so more often. The company which specializes in providing real-time crash reports for mobile apps evaluated reports over a period of one month and found that iOS apps crash quite a lot more than their Android counterparts.
    In the first of the three quartiles we got data for, iOS apps crashed after 0.51% of all launches, whereas Android apps only crashed in 0.15%. In the second quartile the picture is similar with iOS apps crashing in 1.47% of the cases, whereas Android apps did so 0.73% of the time. Things are much closer in the third quartile - 2.97% crashes for Android vs 3.66% for iOS.
    Crittercism even gave us a detailed breakdown of the most problematic releases by OS. As it turns out, iOS 5.0.1 generates more than a third of all iOS crashes - 33.93%, while iOS 4.3.5 is the second most problematic with 10.62%. That sounds quite believable as these two software versions are the two latest releases of iOS4 and iOS5.
    On Android, it's the two Gingerbread releases that generated most of the trouble - 2.3.3 with 24.76% and 2.3.4 with 23.38%.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/ios_apps_cra...-news-3769.php
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

I have to agree. I experience more apps closing unexpectedly on my iPhone and iPad than I do on my SGSII. I think the difference is with iOS the app just quits suddenly, so the user is probably not even cognizant that the app just crashed. Where as with Android you get the pop up message and the option to force close the app, so right away the user knows that the app just crashed. Apple simply disguises the fact that the app crashed. But from my personal experience this is indeed true. iOS apps crash more often than Android apps.
    To Know, Dare, Will and Keep Silent.

That's why me haffi rate gsmarena so much...They are totally unbiased and always reveal the truth in their posts!

Another win for Android!!!
    iPad 2 (32GB) Black iOS5
    Apple MacBook Pro Mac OS X Mountain Lion Gold Master Edition 10.8
    Sony Vaio Win 7 & Ubuntu
    Samsung I9100 Galaxy S IIHyDrOG3N-ICS 10.04 [4.0.4] Powered by LIME 3G

4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

I was just coming to post this but somehow I expected pezz to post it first. LOL.
    Lover of Technology, period!!||Currently loaded: Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Quote Originally Posted by Cultus View Post
    so the user is probably not even cognizant that the app just crashed
    The good thing to note is that since the app is still running in a sandboxed environment so "it crashing" doesn't affect the rest of iOS unlike Android that has its various dependencies for some apps.
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

Quote Originally Posted by NOKIA 3650 View Post
    The good thing to note is that since the app is still running in a sandboxed environment so "it crashing" doesn't affect the rest of iOS unlike Android that has its various dependencies for some apps.
    So wrong again. Android apps all run in a their own VMs, so no app affects the other. Theoretically IMO this would happen if an app running as SU crashes while accessing another app's data, but I've yet to hear of that happening.

EDIT: And YAY! for crApple "User Experience". I guess they are successful in giving better experience on crashes since the user has no idea what happened and if it was their fault or not . I guess Android gives inferior "UE" by telling the user that something just went wrong and giving them the chance to do something about it .
    Last edited by Skele Drew; Feb 3, 2012 at 09:23 PM.
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

How do the apps interact with on another on Android then?
    For example, when you purchase the "key" application for Documents to go, how does it update the "trial" copy of documents to go to ensure that it is updated?
    If you deleted the "key" application, then DocstoGo reverts to the trial edition.
    There are times I close base Google apps on my Nexus S and it cripples other apps that depend on it from functioning (or is it because I rooted differently).

Quote Originally Posted by Skele Drew View Post
    since the user has no idea what happened and if it was their fault or not
    Since its assumed that iOS device single-tasks (or freezes one app while switching to another), it can't be the user's fault as the app either runs out of memory (most common in older devices) or due to logical / syntax errors during programming.

On another note, my experience will be vastly different from that of Cultus as my iPad2 isn't jailbroken (I have no interest in doing it). And I have lots of available storage space, as opposed to my iPad1 which only had 16GB of storage, 128MB RAM and was only a single core processor. I'll say the same too about my Nexus S vs my bricked Vibrant although they should be nearly identical in spec while attempting to run ICS smoothly as a daily driver.

It's unfair to look at one OS as opposed to another and say it crashes more under uneven circumstances. With that said, I'm still wondering why people still run Windows in this day and age in mission critical environments.
    Last edited by NOKIA 3650; Feb 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM.
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F

Quote Originally Posted by NOKIA 3650 View Post

It's unfair to look at one OS as opposed to another and say it crashes more under uneven circumstances. With that said, I'm still wondering why people still run Windows in this day and age in mission critical environments.
    Oh so a few months ago when you were saying android crashes more. It was fair?

Blah blah tell it to someone who cares. Fact is IOS crashes more... end of story.
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    Oh so a few months ago when you were saying android crashes more. It was fair?
    I never said such a thing in any thread. Don't think that because my signature says "Apple is still the best thing since sliced bread" mean that I actually live by it. Remember that I have the Nexus as my primary phone and the Vibrant as a paperweight currently being worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    Fact is IOS crashes more... end of story.
    This seems so childish. This article doesn't clearly state what tests were done, so all those charts are meaningless. without a clear description of what was tested.

I can easily say that Android ported games aren't as "pretty" as those released on iOS, but I'd have to give you evidence to backup my claim.
    Last edited by NOKIA 3650; Feb 4, 2012 at 02:31 PM.
    HTML Code: