Thread: Bricked Bold 9900

Default Bricked Bold 9900

So I woke up one morning about two months ago to a blinking red light on my 9900, it wouldnt power on, the red light just kept blinking. Managed to fix it with an OS update, but it happened again a few weeks ago. Haven't been able to fix it again. It seems to be a pretty common issue with this phone. Anybody else experiencing this problem?

Don't have one. Wanted to get one for my wife but was warned that I should get the 9930 because the 9900 has issues. If you're gonna dump it let me know. I'd love to try screwing around with it. See if there's anything else that can be done.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Anyone know a fix by any chance?

Here's the thing. With the phone in that state you will have to try some of the third-party tools to try and force an OS update. As I said - I'd like it to play with if you're throwing away - but until then here's some stuff to try.

TOOLS TO TRY
    • Get JL_CMDER and try to force a wipe on the phone
    • Get BBSAK or any other tool to try force a wipe if JL_CMDER does not work
    • BBMCP is another toolkit that you could try to force a wipe then load the OS back to the phone
    • If the above fails you could try pushing files to the phone using MFI on WinXP

Once you have the tools you also need to have the firmware file for your phone. Not sure who your provider is, but the latest OS is 7.0.0.598 which should be installable to your phone.

Download the firmware file, search for and delete the vendor.xml file, force a flash to the phone.

Just so you know - once the phone is recognized by any of the official or third party applications and the PIN can be identified then you have a good chance of recovery. If you see the device as UNKNOWN PIN or UNKNOWN DEVICE then your chances are less.

After you've tried you have three choices on failure.

1. Take the phone to a shop for them to attempt recovery - Cost will vary and you may or may not be charged if it is not fixed.
    2. Take the phone to me to try - if I'm successful you can leave gratuity with me (I don't charge fees).
    3. Give the phone to me so I can screw around with it.

Another option would be to check with someone else on TJ that might do unlocking and flashing and the like, but the fact that none of them responded to your thread as yet (unless you got a PM) means they're either not interested or are waiting on some additional info. As I said earlier I've heard that the 9900 has some issues which is why persons have said that I should get the 9930 if I plan to go that series. Hopefully this is not one of the issues they have.

Questions that could be asked would be things like - are you sure there is no water/moisture damage? Did you drop the phone? etc. etc. etc.

So try and let us know.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Did u get the 9900 sorted out? Pls post feedback on device
    BUSY WORKING MY WAY TO BE A MILLIONAIRE

jomo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Don't have one. Wanted to get one for my wife but was warned that I should get the 9930 because the 9900 has issues. If you're gonna dump it let me know. I'd love to try screwing around with it. See if there's anything else that can be done.
    LOL @ 9930 being better, get a clue

It drops calls as its cdma too, battery life is worse, and NO 4G

Anyway my 9900s have never given me any problems

@ Jomo - I heard. Hence I said I was warned. I don't have them to test so I wouldn't know first-hand.

Still waiting to hear if the OP willing to let me play with this.

jomo Guest

Well ask around about the 9930, look at what they sell for on shopinja, basically giving away, as people realise the problems with them

In fact all cdma/gsm versions are CRAP, 9930, 9850, 9650, etc, all garbage in ja