Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SmartPhone Race Jamaica - Why so many Blackberries?

Default SmartPhone Race Jamaica - Why so many Blackberries?

In this article, I will delve further in to the various social,cultural and economic reasons why (in my humble opinion) the smart phone race in Jamaica will be a long and boring battle. Full disclosure; I have recently bought a BB after years watching and analysing the cellphone market both locally and abroad. I should also say that the Dominican Republic has the best cellphone network in the region. Now, back to the article, I will run across stereotypes, cliches and general opinions based on my personal observations and educated guesses based on...well speculation.

Jamaicans have limited reasources
    Jamaicans will only spend their money on things that they cannot get for free, cheap or things that they think are valuable. The credit culture in the end it is all about practicality and a lower cost of ownership - it is not about being “cutting edge” or “trendy”. Why would they spend a small fortune on a smart phone just so that they can download free apps? It is almost like buying a big plasma tv for the benefit of watching burnt DVDs.

Jamaicans Hate Contracts

The majority of the iphones and Android phones require post paid plans, long contracts, lots of cash up front or both. The Jamaican cellphone users are on Pre-Paid plans and withdraw their money in a $1000 dollars at a time from the ATM. It is not because there is not a better, faster or more efficient way - they are just fear varies forms of ENTRAPMENT. Two bills, a bank statement and down payment? Yeah sounds pretty affordable compared to AT&T. Phones get dropped, stolen, sold to pay for car insurance, and left in taxis, it happens everyday in Jamaica....
    full article; SmartPhone Race Jamaica - Why so many Blackberries?

Blackberries is in my view the best phone to use with any of the 3 soon to be 2 mobile service providers

The author of this opinion based article (regardless if humble) knows that
    a) when you post on techja your talking to me
    b) when you say jamaicans as a group your talking to me
    c) you know any statements that step foot outside opinion without sited facts will get a response
    d) you know any false generalization of jamaicans will get an (opinionated or factual response)
    e) you know that i have to give that newbie user to techja the ability to see 2 sides and another view
    f) dont worry i went to your site so you got a page hit count :-)

now here I go

Jamaicans have limited resourcesJamaicans will only spend their money on things that they cannot get for free, cheap.

RUBBISH I know many many jamaicans who waste money on these expensive blackberries both from digicel and ebay those prices as shown below are more expensive than my android which is 50+ times better

The majority of the iphones and Android phones require long contracts, lots of cash up front or both
    RUBBISH lime 3g $1000 jamaican per month cheap cheap

Slow Phone Networks
    RUBBISH Lime 3g 2Megs down fast fast only noobicel sorry digicel has slow speeds

Jamaicans do not care about Apps
    RUBBISH besides making phone calls everything else about the phone is app based.

free apps are usually bait for paid versions
    RUBBISH not usually but rarely come to the market and see

We Are Wagonists
    ok you get this one most jamaicans are but that explains why they buy old blackberries.

overall keep writing your blogs I'll read them

ALL JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION
    Last edited by wishlist; Jan 25, 2012 at 05:42 PM.
    Ryzen 7 3700x * RTX 2060 * 16gb DDR4 * MSI Mortar B550 Mboard
    https://www.healthtipsja.com My Wifes Website check it out.
    https://www.wehfia.com
    https://www.minimalis.bitrix24.site

jomo Guest

Lol, exactly, we just choose bb cause the competition SUCKS.....

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    Lol, exactly, we just choose bb cause the competition SUCKS.....
    Sucks in the confines of the jamaican telecom market and definitely not the broader scale cuz BB's are dumb and I can say so cuz i've owned em too!!!
    Don't let Society Dictate how u live UR life

Its URS live it how u wanna!

LOOOOOL..this article was quite entertaining i must the least...gave me quite a few good laughs!!!
    somebody cudnt write this and seriously meant some of this STUPID points....
    go away troll....go away
    NOTEBOOK: Acer V3-771G - Core i5 3.1Ghz + Nvidia Geforce GT630M
    PMP: Cowon J3 (16GB|Jet Effect 3.0) + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 = <AUDIOGASM>
    SMARTPHONE: Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III - Rooted + UltimaROM
    DUMBPHONE: Blackberry 9000

jomo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by papa_d View Post
    Sucks in the confines of the jamaican telecom market and definitely not the broader scale cuz BB's are dumb and I can say so cuz i've owned em too!!!
    Guess what WE LIVE in jamaica

Bb are popular in jamaica

Get over it, or get out the section

Tired of you trolls now man!

mi nuh have nuttin else to say but that article was funny ?
    Vylle"Instability shows far more ignorance than indifference"
    PC: INTEL I7 6700K | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4
    Phones: OPO 534-9428 (LIME) or 5925530(DIGI)
    Facebook || Twitter

All I can say is, it is 100% Pure Anecdotal Evidence. Nothing Else. wishlist already rebutted quite nicely. Jomo, you just prove your ignorance everyday. I am here trying hard to waste my 3Gigs of Data. Seems very much impossible to me now. I just have to accept that I cannot exhaust 3gigs of Data in any given month. Thanks to LIME 3G which is very affordable. So the argument about Data Plans not being available no longer hold any ground. Again I say that article was purely anecdotal.
    To Know, Dare, Will and Keep Silent.

jomo Guest

Cultus no one cares about your stories, we like bb, we use bb, look around we are all over we aint goin nowhere even with a 5 dollar data plan we nah switch

Lol