Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you handle 4k video resolution on Youtube?

so i downloaded the Vid not long ago n played it on the Rig in my sig: here are the results:

now as Khat17 previously said sumn is seriously flawed about that vid because if i just simply watch a "normal" movie Most of the "work" is offloaded to the GPU

~gonna run some tests n update this post~

I did a video of my pcs usage, but it's not accurate as Fraps caused the usage to be high as opposed to when not capturing.

Also depended upon which player I used but they all varied from around the 20s-50s.

MPCHC

VLC

WMP

Temps didn't budge from 30c and the fans stayed right where they were.
    (unlike the 747 takeoff noise I'm used to on some tougher tasks)

It does take awhile to load in the browser though, like 1:30-2:00 but anything I utilize to record it is gonna give wrong results.
    @ Khat I can't find where to enable DXVA. When I open your WMPHC on my pc, we seem to have different options.

Also your H264 test video link is broken.
    Last edited by ShadowWolfe Hellscream; Jan 24, 2012 at 02:26 AM.
    ShadowWolfe, signing off *salute*
    /user has permanently disconnected from the Animus.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/26ztlk

http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...p-File-Formats

Link is on the last page of the thread put put there to make things easier. The first two posts has pics and such of how to get the acceleration to work. Also try in PotPlayer when you get a chance. Link and info on last page of above thread.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

the thing I dnt get is why my gourmet clocks were elevated (not @ idle speeds) but the gpu wasn't used to render the video.....but when I played a BLURAY rip of transformers 3 the gpu useage went up to 6-8%....Sumner seam fishy bout that YouTube video....look @ shadow he has dual gpus his processor usage shouldn't even pass 10% with true hardware acceleration .....n yeah can't seam to find the DXVA settings in mpc

Finally tested it last night, downloaded it and while it was slow to start up it played without a hitch up til 1:27 then it stuttered a coupla times, only problem is I had no video, just a big black screen
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Cloud Solutions. All rights reserved.

lol what kinda hardware u have

AMD Athlon 64 3800+, 2 gigs a ddr ram and a video card I think is 256 but use memory to boost it. Soon get a 1 gb vid card for it so will test again then and see if any difference and planning to get another 2 gig memory
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Cloud Solutions. All rights reserved.

Well nobody has used my test video thus far. And @ Cloud - if your card isn't G92 nVidia or HD series ATI then you can't hardware decode the video. As for the other video from YouTube I haven't seen hardware decoding being done on it - again due to either decoding issues or the encoding method.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

I just reach 720p

wait for me please

lol

how long before iphone records in 4k though

Quote Originally Posted by techmenace View Post
    I just reach 720p

wait for me please

lol

how long before iphone records in 4k though
    Many companies may not go to 4K yet as there are a lot of things to work out. As it stands the codec used was AVC1 which is related to H.264/MPEG-4 AVC. If they don't follow the profiles used for the currently more popular formats then hardware decoding may not work - or the hardware decoders may have to be updated or modified for the compression method used for 4K. Once those things are worked out then you'll see other vendors going towards it.

I remember when H.264 was young - X264 was the free alternative and worked beautifully and was (fully?) compatible with H.264 profiles - hence hardware decoding was possible.

Bear in mind also that the 720p/1080p etc really just determines the resolution - the encoding is usually suspected to be H.264 or compatible codecs, but you can encode a video with DivX or XviD at the same resolution. H.264 was supposed to give superior quality at lower sizes - and this was particularly seen when encoding animations/cartoons where the color variations are not as in-depth or detailed as in live movies. Still, you see a lot less "artifacts" when watching H.264 vs other codecs.

DivX and the older codecs have caught up though and now have encoding profiles that should match the quality and/or standards for 1080p and the like.
    Last edited by khat17; Jan 28, 2012 at 10:16 AM.