Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you handle 4k video resolution on Youtube?

Default Can you handle 4k video resolution on Youtube?

Fair amount of 4k content is now hitting YouTube,.. doubt it's the raw 4k (4096 x 2304), chances are it's still compressed somewhat for YouTube..

For 4k put the Quality to Original... people with Lower spec'd machines stand clear
    Last edited by GPRS Internet; Jan 23, 2012 at 01:19 AM.
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

My download manager tells me it's 3072p HD and @ 2:18 minutes, the file size is 500+MB
    Ok, I guess I'm ready for the 100MB connection then lol
    Awesome quality for YouTube.
    Sry for the people still on PoorG and LAME internet.
    ShadowWolfe, signing off *salute*
    /user has permanently disconnected from the Animus.

This looks amazing on my MacBook Pro via FLOW Broadband. Just Epic!
    To Know, Dare, Will and Keep Silent.

i7 cpu no problem looks really good
    Remember to take a look at http://www.google.com/mapmaker

Wow, I haven't seen a Youtube stream stutter like this since I left Lime.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

stutter @ 0.18 seconds.. thanks flow...

nah lie it pretty though....

(3 weeks ago u were great 1080 no problem ... but now ur back to sucking - even 480 stutters.. tnx flow )
    getz mine the fast way, ski-mask way...
    christopher wallace r.i.p.

The video played like crap online but smooth on my PC. File is 514MB when downloaded. Here's what's up with that.

YouTube says that the video is being software rendered and software decoded. How does that translate to you?

Small chunks of data are downloaded to your PC and then decoded using your CPU. For FireFox this is done using PLUGIN-CONTAINER.EXE which shoots my CPU usage up to 80% from what I've seen. The download rate - seen in the top image - is about 11Mb/s or 1.3MB/s.

Even though "HARDWARE ACCELERATION" is enabled on YouTube no hardware acceleration is done. I wanted to find out why this was.

On my PC the video plays fine and has no hitches whatsoever. Still no hardware decoding in use, and the player I use (PotPlayer) automatically does hardware decoding, so this shouldn't be using my CPU if it were capable. My CPU usage never passes 62% through the whole video.

Here you can see DXVA is active on another video - which brings me to my conlcusion.

Either the video is not properly encoded, or uploading to YouTube has tampered with the original encoding in some way. The AVC1 encoding done to the video does not follow any of the standard baselines that would allow it to be hardware decoded. This means that the file requires a dual core CPU or higher to play back with no issues.

So testing your internet capabilities with this video is kinda flawed - unless your CPU is really fast (i7 anyone?) then you probably wont play without hitches. The problem is that you have to download and then decode before playing. Your internet speed isn't necessarily slow.

If you want to test your own system for hardware decoding just use the test file in the thread linked below and use task manager to see if your CPU usage in your player is high. Much smaller file and properly encoded for hardware decoding. 228MB vs 514MB for the YouTube one.

For more information about codecs, filters, file formats, video decoding and such you can read through the thread located here -> http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/showthread.php?65565
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

better w8 till im home On The beast+ FLOW connection UTECH + My Lappy wont do so well LOL

Anyone in here with an ATI HD card can run a test for me with the video?

Download the 514MB file.

Download MPC-HC. Get the portable/standalone one if you don't want to install anything.

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

Change the settings in there to ensure that DXVA is on and working. Check the linked thread above for details - or if you want to help out and lazy I'll just post the settings in here.

Play the video in MPC-HC and tell me what happens.

For me on my HD4870 the video driver crashes and I get a BSOD. I want to find out if this is an ATI driver issue, a system issue, or something else.

nVidia users can also try this out and let me know what happens.

I want to see if it's specific to ATI or to the decoder, player, or the way that the decoder handles the files. TIA.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

@ Khat when i get home in an hour or so i sort dat out 4 u...cause i wanna c what will happen on my sys 2

EDIT: I wonder what would happen on my droid 0_0
    Last edited by Flexx17; Jan 23, 2012 at 10:00 AM.