Thread: When an Upgrade is Necessary? by MAX

Default When an Upgrade is Necessary? by MAX

Let me start off by presenting the specs of my rig which is not the core focus... it's an old Precision 690... nothing fancy... Dual Quad Core 771 Xeons L5320 (core 2 quad equivalents running at 1.86GHz), 16GB ddr2 667 FBDIMM, ATI 5770. See nothing too fancy.

I did the windows 7 index and looking through the thread as you can all see for yourselfs, the precision 690 still packs a mighty punch.

The same thread has a deneb that got 7.2. It's a level playing field as the assesment tool is not biased or prejudice. It just executes some test and presents it findings.

So obviously my Xeons did what ever task it was assesed on in a faster time. Well it should. A deneb is a Phenom II which is only 4 cores and my setup is an Octo core.

We can note that my ram was better assesed.... and we have a thread on that. RAM vs SPEED... and another member and I agreed that at my stage speed is not important. So my 16GB of ddr2 667 bettered I am suspected some ddr3 ram. Even my other rig (KRAKEN) has 16GB ddr2 at only 400... got better scores. I know many would shudder to go back to such slow ram but the results still stand.

Hard Drives is the hardest assesed area. I thought no mechanical drive would ever achieve more than 5.9 but with an old raid card I did. I saw where M20 got 6.9 on his SSD and I will be beating that very soon with mechanical drives. Maybe I will even beat Kenroy... who to tell... but I will not be doing it with any SSD...

This brings us back to the point. When is an upgrade really necessary? I put this monsta together for about 500 bucks. How much would a fancy case and new mobo and cpu and ram would cost... not to mention my video card... I paid 85 bucks for the 5770... plays needs for speed run like a dream.

The Question - After seeing all this should I sell it and upgrade?
    Last edited by MaxFactor1; Jan 14, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
    cell: 807-4523| email: mysonchug@yahoo.com | PM Me

Well Max - my policy is that you don't need an upgrade unless the machine isn't doing what you want as fast as you'd want anymore. The next scenario is if the machine is unable to run the platform/OS/program that you want it to run, or not able to run it as effectively as it could.

Other than those if you're a gamer then you upgrade to keep up with your games.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Well Max - my policy is that you don't need an upgrade unless the machine isn't doing what you want as fast as you'd want anymore. The next scenario is if the machine is unable to run the platform/OS/program that you want it to run, or not able to run it as effectively as it could.

Other than those if you're a gamer then you upgrade to keep up with your games.

I agree with 100%.....that's my policy 2