Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need forum info

Quote Originally Posted by caesar2004
    well im a tech junkie ill figure it out just as ive basically taught maself visual basic how hard could coding a forum be?
    not really hard, more like, time consuming...although it depends on the features you want the forum to have....plus..one error and you will be crawling through militiple files to find the bug........it's best to have multiple heads (to share the headache)

try to keep simple as you when you start out. think about the basic features you need to implement.

THats basically it isn't it. 2 tables + a text area like the quick reply. not bad!!

Owen you mentioned something about virtual threads and flood control, whats that about

Is there are reason this forum has to be a PHP based forum?
    The answer you seek is *+5,2*3,2
    Check out my blog: http://rants.andreobrown.com

I designed a forum in ASP it works ok it just need a user controll panel and its good to gizzle

Owen I know your good at php could you tell me why most website use Php forum instead of ASP this might help him get a understanding of the task ahead

the main reason (i think) is php is free and compatable with linux and windows based servers

And there are very few free asp forums out there. Compared to the number of free php forums.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Why not look at existing content management and community based systems. A good one to start with is Plone. Then there is Typo. I recommend Plone.

If you want to get a site up and running in a short period of time, dont reinvent the wheel. If, however, you are looking to learn how to code a forum, then go right ahead and perhaps you may innovate the wheel
    The answer you seek is *+5,2*3,2
    Check out my blog: http://rants.andreobrown.com

Quote Originally Posted by owen
    basically a forum is 2 tables. one with the topics and the other with the replies to the topics. You can have a third table with that stores the users. 2 screens one that shows the the threads, another that shows the replies when you click on a thread. Next - 2 forms one that allows you to create a new topic and the other that allows you to post a reply to the topic. The admin pages allow you to delete, edit, etc.

if you want to get really complicated you can add flood control, moderators, categories, virtual threads and access rights.
    owen is right, a forum really isnt that hard, it really depends on how big you want to make it. I realised this when I actually created a forum a while back. I would even say a fairly decent forum would only take 10 hours of time if so much. So dont be afraid to try it, if you want the experience.

Honestly... the PHP ones are the best on the market now. If you want to do more than forums then that's a different story. That's when you would want to start thinking Zope/Plone.
    Zope, Linux, Web, Intranet
    www.plone.org