Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need forum info

Exclamation I need forum info

Hey guys I want some info on how to code a forum as me an ma bregin dem will be making a website soon.

Code a forum? Why not get one of the many free forums out there? Coding a forum from scratch would take a huge under taking. Especially if you planning to release it to the wider public. If not, then take a look at the other forums out there, plan how you want the layout of the forum the features you plan to implement, the security problems that need to be addressed.

And that's just for starters.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

basically a forum is 2 tables. one with the topics and the other with the replies to the topics. You can have a third table with that stores the users. 2 screens one that shows the the threads, another that shows the replies when you click on a thread. Next - 2 forms one that allows you to create a new topic and the other that allows you to post a reply to the topic. The admin pages allow you to delete, edit, etc.

if you want to get really complicated you can add flood control, moderators, categories, virtual threads and access rights.

hey owen have you ever think to design a one button installation of a forum? how profitable is it

Quote Originally Posted by MadHacker
    hey owen have you ever think to design a one button installation of a forum? how profitable is it
    not sure depends on how much you sell it for.

I agree with AA, unless you have a team working on this it would take some time to develop a forum. If its strictly for learning (we learn somtimes by re-inventing the wheel and painting it blue) then go ahead - do yu ting!!

hey caesar

as A_A and Leo said... coding a forum from scratch is no easy undertaking

if you guys still want to try do what i would do...which is....download and mess around for learning purposes only with the code available for current free, opensource forums

cool ppl is a learning flex still so i think ill go with your idea Zard

now a days commerical forums have some much "junk" in them that its pretty hard for a beginner to make sense of anything in the source. But it helps

well im a tech junkie ill figure it out just as ive basically taught maself visual basic how hard could coding a forum be?