Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learn current HTML or HTML5?

Default Learn current HTML or HTML5?

I'm an MIS student and this semester we'll be doing web application. I'm not sure of the content but I'd like to get a head start. Thinking of going through some html tutorials but i realize that i'm seeing 2 sets of tutorials html and html5.

Does it matter which one i learn? Is there a big difference between the 2? If i start learning one is there any difficulty transitioning to the other?
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

If you know HTML5, you know HTML4 because its a draft currently but most of the coding are backwards compatible with HTML4.
    Its best to learn HTML4 first, get use to it and familiarize yourself with it and then move on to HTML5 which is a little more advance. HTML5 is the future so get with it.Microsoft giving until 2014/2015 for all web programmers to move up to HTML5 as it will be a standardize then

Yeah, as Dre said, learn HTML (which is HTML 4) then learn HTML5. HTML 5 is the newer version that is gaining mainstream support in most of the popular browsers. But HTML 4 is supported by all browsers. So get the ground work on the language by learning HTML then it will be easier to learn the changes in HTML 5.

As you probably have searched and found already, W3Schools is one of the better programming sites to learn various languages, including HTML.
    http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp

It's been my main site of resource when I need it.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

OK thanks for the heads up. I actually downloaded a lynda.com tutorial for html5 and in the intro the instructor actually recommended knowing html, css and javascript as prerequisites to the courses. Yea i know about w3schools but i'm a visual learner or sorts so i like video tutorials. Got another Lynda on html and xhtml essentials. Based on the intro i watched xhtml seems to be the standard for most sites nowadays. So am gonna juggle that video series with w3schools and see how things go. Need to find a good editor for ubuntu now.
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

I use gedit for editing my html in Ubuntu, unless you want a WYSIWYG editor inwhich case you can use Quanta Plus or Bluefish.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

thnx ramesh i had installed bluefish after looking thru software center... lets see how things go

You will need to know all three: HTML (for semantic structure), CSS(for visual layout and presentation) and JavaScript ( for logic, behavior and interaction). Try to get a copy of Head First HTML. It's a very comprehensive book and its tailored to appeal to all sorts of learning styles (including visual). The authors also follow up with Head First HTML5 which covers the new JavaScript APIs. In addition, for JavaScript, I would also recommend viewing Douglas Crawford's videos on the language. You can find them at the following link:

http://javascript.crockford.com/

since ur doing web pplication more than likely ur gonna do some back end programming using either php or asp.net...........so u could get some sample projects ...... or i suggest u get a copy of lynda's PHY with MYSQl Essential Trainign... very good.....
    Dip,Bsc,CCNA,CCSP,MCP.. Up next MCSA WINDOWS 8, CCNA SECURITY,CCNP SWITCH,
    CCNA SEEKING AN OPPORTUNITY
    Theres no Friend Like Google..........

Thanks guys will be looking out for that book. I saw the course outline lastnight and it will be covering HTML, CSS and Javascript.

i am also learning web development i was planning on starting out with html5 but i came across this thread and saw the recommendations and i have already started css cant wait to do some work in javascript...here is a link for some awesome tutorial http://thenewboston.org/tutorials.php