Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facebook locks down 45,000 accounts to stop 'worm' spreading

Default Facebook locks down 45,000 accounts to stop 'worm' spreading

.. so a few ppl calling me and asking me if my FB is up/working.. so i told them 'No' ... facebook has shutdown...its 2012 the world as they know it has ended, go read a book/get a life nuh..

i decided to actually check mine.. seems to be down too.. then saw this ,,

Facebook has acted to stop the spread of a new variety of malicious software that has stolen login details from 45,000 mostly British and French users.

Facebook will force 45,000 users to change their passwords
    By Christopher Williams, Technology Correspondent1:43PM GMT 06 Jan 2012

The Ramnit worm has been spreading since April 2010, but was only recently adapted to target Facebook details, according to computer security experts. It was previously used by cyber criminals to steal login credentials for other services, including online banking.
    A “worm” is distinct from a normal computer virus in that it can reproduce itself without needing to attach itself to an existing program. This ability means worms can spread very rapidly online.
    The new threat to Facebook users was highlighted this week by Seculert, an Israeli computer security firm. It said most of the users affected so far are British or French.
    “Our research lab identified a completely new 'financial' Ramnit variant aimed at stealing Facebook login credentials,” the firm said in a blog post.
    “It was fairly straightforward to detect that over 45,000 Facebook login credentials have been stolen worldwide, mostly from users in the United Kingdom and France.”

According to Seculer, whoever is behind the new Ramnit variant is using it the stolen login details to access victims’ Facebook accounts and send malicious links to their friends.
    “We suspect that the attackers behind Ramnit are using the stolen credentials to log-in to victims' Facebook accounts and to transmit malicious links to their friends, thereby magnifying the malware's spread even further,” the firm said.
    The personal information stolen from compromised Facebook accounts is potentially valuable to cyber criminals and is sometimes traded on online black markets.
    Facebook said that it had learned of the new attack on its users last week and has already taken action to defend them.
    It said it had studied the 45,000 stolen login details and concluded that most of it was out of date. However all affected users will be forced to reset their password to improve security.
    “Last week we received from external security researchers a set of user credentials that had been harvested by a piece of malware,” a spokesman said.
    “Our security experts have reviewed the data, and while the majority of the information was out-of-date, we have initiated remedial steps for all affected users to ensure the security of their accounts.
    “Thus far, we have not seen the virus propagating on Facebook itself, but have begun working with our external partners to add protections to our anti-virus systems to help users secure their devices.”
    It said users should never click on strange links and should report any suspicious activity.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...spreading.html
    getz mine the fast way, ski-mask way...
    christopher wallace r.i.p.

Ma Girl Call me and seh babes is ur FB working im like no.
    This Year Mi Want Fi Rich Yeah Mi Want Fi Meck Some Money Tired A The Heartache Tired A The Worries
    Powered By Toyota Racing Development Old School Ova New School
    I-Phone 5 32GB> Samsung Galaxy NOTE 2 N7100 Powered By Digicel Whatsapp 876-418-1744

this is 2012
    for the first time in years FB isn't loading
    the hype of facebook is over
    stock prices will fall
    now on to google plus
    Last edited by techmenace; Jan 6, 2012 at 11:48 PM.

ppl are actually calling people to find out about facebook? smh. Is not an emergency
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Hmm, I missed all the excitement, but don't see anyone talking on G+ or FB about it being down. As if nothing happened. Ah well.
    Moving on...
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Same as A_A above, then again I don't have any French or British contacts.
    At least this will give people a chance to see the sun outside #surrogates.
    ShadowWolfe, signing off *salute*
    /user has permanently disconnected from the Animus.

jomo Guest

Lol, who uses google plus? Anyway why people do online banking knowing the risks, see my girl do it all the time sure its convenient but risky, I'd never do it

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    Lol, who uses google plus? Anyway why people do online banking knowing the risks, see my girl do it all the time sure its convenient but risky, I'd never do it
    Online banking and online shopping are in the same boat. Why would someone shop online knowing the risks?

jomo Guest

Well that too... I don't do that either, unless its just a few bucks in paypal for phone apps or sumn, I'd prefer pay someone to go through the hassle and risk of online shopping

If I pay you and someone robs you I don't care, I still need my goods or my money back

With online fraud edentity theft etc a multi billion dollar industry, yu really think me ago even put my credit/debit card near a keyboard much less to TYPE the number in it?? LOL

Geez you cold hearted though but anywayz you just have to be smart about what you're doing. Stores like Amazon, Ebay, Newegg and Steam etc only work through online interactions and I can't imagine life without them.
    Even those few bucks of yours through paypal can get stolen and potentially more.
    If you're smart on your end, browsing habits-wise, you just have to hope what befell Sony last year doesn't happen to your store.
    Even in the physical world the risk is still there for a store to make a copy or your card or even worse, somebody gives you a kuff/kaff/kweff for it at the ATM.
    Not to mention worms have already shutdown Scotia and I think RBTT sometime ago more than once. Imagine your account empty and your card never even left your wallet.
    And in 2012 if people are still clicking on random links thru their FB account, they should just delete it from now as they'll never learn.
    Last edited by ShadowWolfe Hellscream; Jan 7, 2012 at 03:59 AM.