Thread: Is there really a permanent fix for a rrod xbox 360

Default Is there really a permanent fix for a rrod xbox 360

I wanna repair my xbox 360 but wondering if it just make sense to purchase a new one. to spend a change to repair it and it pop down again no make no sense. Worst how that funds could contribute to the purchase of a new one.

How the new xbox's holding up with the rrod.

There are several methods to repairing a rrod Xbox 360. The easiest being the towel trick. Tho more complicated methods like removing clamps and applying bolts to hold the gpu to the motherboard. Also you can resolder the gpu to the motherboard applying lead based soldering. I can fix a red ring Xbox 360. Did it twice on two separate occasions and one ran for 6 months while the other ran for 2 weeks. Its best to buy a new system because there is no permanent way to fix it. Don't let anyone tell u otherwise. Just get anew xbox 360 slim that has only a 3 percent chance of red ringing I think. And when using it console keep it cool. Don't put it on carpets or block the air cents. Overheating is the major cause of rrod because the cheap lead free solder Microsoft uses to hold the gpu to the motherboard gets brittle and separates when the console is too hot. Just read on the internet and I'll understand more cause I'm just giving u a general idea.

Quote Originally Posted by darkrevenantxxx View Post
    There are several methods to repairing a rrod Xbox 360. The easiest being the towel trick. Tho more complicated methods like removing clamps and applying bolts to hold the gpu to the motherboard. Also you can resolder the gpu to the motherboard applying lead based soldering. I can fix a red ring Xbox 360. Did it twice on two separate occasions and one ran for 6 months while the other ran for 2 weeks. Its best to buy a new system because there is no permanent way to fix it. Don't let anyone tell u otherwise. Just get anew xbox 360 slim that has only a 3 percent chance of red ringing I think. And when using it console keep it cool. Don't put it on carpets or block the air cents. Overheating is the major cause of rrod because the cheap lead free solder Microsoft uses to hold the gpu to the motherboard gets brittle and separates when the console is too hot. Just read on the internet and I'll understand more cause I'm just giving u a general idea.
    So based on what you are saying persons claiming that re-balling with lead based solder is not a permanent fix are falsifying information? I would love for Mr. Perfect to comment on this.
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......

As said above with some elaboration............

The reason devices have graphics failure (laptops and consoles) usually occur due to using lead-free solder which is weaker than the ones with lead. This is most likely due to making some items ROHS compliant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restric...nces_Directive

The problem is that constant usage and heating/cooling causes small cracks in the solder and eventual failure. This can be "fixed" by various methods but a permanent fix is only available if you buy a reball kit and DIY or send it in to someone who has the equipment and pay them to do it.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...eball&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-BGA-Dia...item4ab56a4997

But as said above as well - just do some searching online. Look for "reball" when searching for PS/Xbox/laptop/nVidia GPU issues and you'll see. Also read up on ROHS and you'll see the reasoning for them doing things this way.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

this rrod problem has kept me from buying a new xbox 360. fixed my old 360 and only got 2weeks from it. it was still under warranty but i never even carry it back to be repaired cause if it only last two weeks whats the point. i was preeing ps3's but they got there own issues too. kmt

Reball the chipsets with lead-based solder and retrofit additional cooling then you'll have no issues. Also use good thermal paste and you'll be fine.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by jaedesignz View Post
    this rrod problem has kept me from buying a new xbox 360. fixed my old 360 and only got 2weeks from it. it was still under warranty but i never even carry it back to be repaired cause if it only last two weeks whats the point. i was preeing ps3's but they got there own issues too. kmt
    What issues ps3 got??? Mine doing 3yrs+ been working flawless .....
    Current: LG Nexus 5 - Digicel
    Retired: Samsung Galaxy Nexus